new fuel tank ?

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Closer to 10 i think. There are some variables , like wall thickness and complications of the shape of tank

wave monkey

Lieutenant Commander
luthers welding bristol RI I weld aluminum and not even worth it had two of my stern tanks remade two 90 gallon custum shaped tanks with good senders and multipul pickups and returns 1500

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I had a 90 gallon made a few years back by Atlantic it was 750 delivered.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I got a fairly good quote from a place in NJ. I forgot who told me about it now though.

onion

Lieutenant
anyone looked at plastic tanks made by triple m plastics in me. they make tanks for diesel or water in any shape or size

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Really hate to say this since I think the CO. is a good CO. and they refunded my $$ for the cost of the 100G tank, BUT, I owe it to the DEBF community to say it was a nightmare!!! I also have to say I do not know if its the same owner now or have changed methods of fabrication or maybe just my bad luck. Without living it again thru a long explanation, it took almost 2 months to get it then, first one arrived smashed during shipment, second one was not per design so did not fit, and after 2 months the installed one leaked! They would have come down and repair, but after the lost time and cost of cutting up the deck again, I went with an Alum tank since I had to cut out the deck again anyhow for the repair and did not want to take any more chances. Lucky that I was around when it started leaking to shut down the bilge pump and avoid major fines plus that I do my own work so did not have to pay a yard to cut up my deck. Maybe if your tank will be accessible and removable you can think of getting one but if you do, special mounting methods have to be adhered to due to boat flex/movement though that was not the reason for my top seam leak.

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
locally-made 22' wooden boat with inboard engine
I had a 20 gallon tank made last summer for around $350 Can. at a local boat repair facility. They gave me a choice of stainless, aluminum, or regular steel but, looking at the all grey hair on my 67 year-old head, they hinted that the 20 year life expectancy of a regular steel tank might be good enough for me and that's what I went with.
ChipTam

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
Best material

What is the best material to have a diesel tank made of?

Robo

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
Diesel tank material

What is special iso resin. I asume vinalester or poly resin as well? How are the penetrations done?

Robo

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Not sure if you'll be able to see very much, but it's worth a shot.

If you scan around to the various posts that I've tossed up with renderings you should be able to see the fuel tanks. Aside from being digital, they are exactly the same in their construction.

Solid FRP product with stainless steel fittings. Bronze and copper can be used in lieu of the stainless upon request. I like to put in deck fills with 2" openings so that fuel trucks can be used, filling the tanks goes so much easier when you can pump 90 gallons a minute into them (or even 40 for the smaller vanes on the trucks) vs the 1.125 gpm that you find at marinas. Pickups are usually held off the bottom of the tank roughly 1/2" and if there is a depression due to the turn of the bilge we utilize this natural feature to maximize the total usage of the tank - since the fuel wants to flow to the lowest spot on its own accord. Lately we've been running 5/8" supply lines which has worked out very well. Scared the Cummins guys when we flooded the Racor because the flow was so tremendous they thought there was a leak somewhere and leapt out of the hell hole so they didn't get wet. Very amusing. All vent lines are 5/8" and the return is 1/2". Necks are often glassed to the top of the tank and to the bottom of the deck for those times when fuel is leaking out of the nozzle of the fill up station, makes the CG happy and it makes cleaning up the mess oh so much easier.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Absolutely. I am looking into other alternative sealer coats for the interior of the tank, I think I've found a few to choose from but the cost is prohibitive currently. Pretty much doubles the cost of the tank just for interior coating.

Top Bottom