New guy here.

rosco61

Ensign
Lite User
Boat Make
26 JC
Hi, lots of good information here, light years ahead of The Hull Truth. Cool thing here is if something isn't right the person owning it won't hide behind it. They'll come right out and talk about it. Like the Packard ad said, "Ask the man who owns one".

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
Welcome Rosco. You’ve come to the right place. This group is full of helpful suggestions. What kind of boating activities are you & your wife interested in?

rosco61

Ensign
Lite User

Bern

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Muscle Ridge 28
Is trailerability a priority; if so, how big is your tow vehicle?

rosco61

Ensign
Lite User

Bern

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Muscle Ridge 28
Bigger will be more comfortable for the overnights, enclosed head is a necessity. My wife and I are into about the same uses. We settled on a Wayne Beal 28. There a lot of great 26 and 28 designs out there. The 26 General Marine or an AJ28 is a can't miss. 26 Fortier is a favorite, too. I'm sure there are other members with more wisdom that will add on.

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Bigger will be more comfortable for the overnights, enclosed head is a necessity. My wife and I are into about the same uses. We settled on a Wayne Beal 28. There a lot of great 26 and 28 designs out there. The 26 General Marine or an AJ28 is a can't miss. 26 Fortier is a favorite, too. I'm sure there are other members with more wisdom that will add on.
Does your Wayne Beal have an enclosed head below?

Kailua Kid

Commander
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
New guy here from just North of Boston on the coast. My wife and i have been out of boating for over a decade and are considering getting new boat and a slip. I am going to retire here shortly so i need another hobby to soak up some time.
Boating has always been a passion for me since dad moved us into Marblehead in 1971.
I like the looks of the Downeast boats a lot and the protection they offer from the weather. So basically i am just starting out again fresh.
I have a strong mechanical back ground so routine maintenance is not a problem at all. I don't want a project boat either.
A brand new boat is not out of the question A good used boat in the 24 to 32 foot range is another option.. I have seen a few nice used boats in here and have seen the Eastern line like the 248. So as i am just starting this journey again and virtually know nothing about this class of boats I hope to pick up some great tips here at your website.
Thanks!
As mentioned, lots of good first hand information here. As you will see, there are many good choices in the size range you mention. My vote would be for a 28-32’ used downeast boat in good condition, including as determined by a competent marine surveyor, rather than a new boat. A well maintained used boat, with good maintenance records, can provide many years of reliable service. Since you do not need to trailer your boat, might as well focus on the larger boats. The bigger boat will be generally more comfortable and safer, etc. and provide greater range. Welcome aboard the forum!

rosco61

Ensign
Lite User

rosco61

Ensign
Lite User

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
I’d like to keep it under 120k. Looks like I can get a very decent boat for less than that which would be nice.
I do like the idea of a brand new boat but I do realize their are good owners out there selling decent equipment. We shall see.
I think you will be fine. A little luck and a lot of paying attention will yield you something that ticks a lot of your boxes. I would look for a quality used rather than pay for new but that is just me.
Good Hunting.

Bern

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Muscle Ridge 28
If you're set on new in the $ 120 K range, you're maybe maxed at an Eastern 24? A member here is doing a Webber's Cove 26 with outboard power, no idea what their pricing is.

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
33 Nauset on Facebook looks like it would be worth you having a look at.

We all like to spend other peoples money.;)

rosco61

Ensign
Lite User

Bern

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Muscle Ridge 28
Absolutely, new boats are awesome!!!....And that new boat smell! I'd at least check with John's Marine Care in New Harbor? on that Webber's Cove 26 as well

Top Bottom