Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

Willie

Lieutenant
Hey all,

Longtime lurker, recently signed in! Just closed on a forum member’s (BillG) 1985 Nauset 30 (it’s still listed in the Classifieds section if you’re curious). Wonderful guy to work with. Will be steaming it up from Maryland to Freeport, ME in mid April. Am definitely interested to hear from anyone on good marinas to stop at for nights, places to avoid, etc.! I’ve done some east coast transits (spent a few years working on tall ships off and on) but never in-shore south of Boston. Thanks to @Diesel Jerry ’s recommendation it will be swinging on a mooring at Strouts once I get it up here.

Looking forward to meeting everybody.

Dylan

View attachment 102185
Nice looking boat

John Hughes

Lieutenant
First Name
John
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Agree with above - I looked at it for a friend of mine who was considering this boat. I believe it is shorter, not by much though, but there are more places to stop along the way if you need to.
Yes I do believe that the route I laid out is a bit longer but given that this will be a brand new "ride" for Dylan, I think it is the safer voyage to make.

I don't personally know Bill, communicated with him through this site and he struct me as a genuine "good guy". I wonder if he would be willing to help Dylan on first 50m or so, maybe up to Annapolis area to show Dylan the ins & outs of his Nauset. Dylan is getting a great boat at a very good deal.

BillG

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Nauset 30
Gents, thank you all for the nice comments and good wishes over the past months. Hard to believe it took so long to sell her but I guess that's life in a pandemic, at least I'll blame it on that. Dylan seems a very decent guy. I think the boat is getting a good home and hope she works out for him. I'm going to start him off right and throw in a varnish brush and a bottle of rum.

John, I agree with you completely; up the Bay through the C&D and Delaware Bay to Cape May. Nobody goes down and outside unless they have to, just a lot of open coast and very few places to duck in. I don't think it's any shorter in the first place. The Upper Chesapeake is also beautiful, be a shame to miss it. North of that I won't say. I've done it a few times but not enough to give advice, except to point out that the sea is very great and that boat is very small. I've had her out in some pretty good chops (we get short period, steep, nasty stuff, not big rollers) and she does fine if you don't push her hard, but I would take the protected route with options. I helped bring a Seaton 48' down from RI once. This was an 80,000#, stabilized trawler with trans-Atlantic range. We thought we were bad-asses and tried to go outside of Montaulk with 20+ forecast on the nose. After 8 hours making about 2 knots and pretending to be a submarine we turned tail and went inside. King Neptune reminded us who was boss! Plus, who would want to miss the scenic East River? Nothing like Hell's Gate with a 200' pusher coming up your stern!

On a final note, I may have sold the boat, but just to prove I haven't completely come to my senses, here's a picture of the console doors in the SeaCraft I'm putting back together....

20210222_115234.jpg

Tallship

Ensign
Dylan;

Congrats on the Nauset 30, great boat and Bill is a great guy. I looked at this vessel last year and was very interested in her but found something a little closer to home.

This past fall I helped crew a Swan 38 sailboat from Belfast Maine to Annapolis so I think I can give some input.

If I was to bring the Nauset north, I would not head south out of Solomons. Instead I would head north, up the Chesapeake to the Chesapeake/Delaware Canal. Probably look to spend night at/around Chesapeake Inn & Marina (this is about halfway thru the canal). *It will be safer on a first leg of a run on a new-to-you vessel to stay inside. If you encounter any "issues" there are plenty of places to pull into to resolve heading north up past Annapolis, etc. This leg is approx 90nm (7.5hrs @ 12knts) - that's a BIG day on a new, unfamiliar vessel.

Next day head for Cape May, going south down the Delaware River. This leg would be approx 70nm (about 6hrs @ 12knts). I would suggest this because once you go outside, Atlantic City is the next place if you need to address any "issues".

Day three, I'd leave Cape May with Marine Basin Marina just inside Coney Island NY. This is a long trek at just over 110nm (10hrs @ 12knts). But you're now familiar with the boat, getting to know her ins & outs. It's also amazing to bring "your boat past the Statue of Liberty!!!". You might want to stay for another night, just to rest up and re-provision.

*Now you have to choose: Do you go back outside or work your way inside the Long Island Sound? Outside is faster/shorter route, BUT*** inside is calmer, safer and more places to tuck into if weather is bad, you have any "issues", etc. I would opt for inside if I was doing this on a boat I was not yet familiar with.

If you go outside, I'd try and make Block Island (another long day, approx 125nm, 10.5 hrs @ 12knts. If that's too far, then I'd make way to Shinnecock Bay (80nm, 6.5hrs @ 12knts.

If you go inside, I'd head to Branford, CT (Branford Town Docks), 75nm, 6.5hrs @ 12knts. If you want to go further then head to Saybrook Point Marina (Just about 96nm, 8hrs @ 12knts).

Next day you want to make it into Buzzards Bay, MA. *You'll need to figure tides for the canal...you want to travel thru the canal with the tide not against.

If the tides are in your favor, take them thru the canal and stop at "Harbor of Refuge" at east end of canal. Fuel, safe dockage, restaurants within walking distance, showers.

If the tides are against you, you can find dockage on west side of canal around Onset, MA and wait for tides to be in your favor the next day.

From the east side of Cape Cod Canal, it's roughly 125nms to Strouts, 10.5hrs @ 12 knts. If I was doing this, I'd make my way to Newburyport and spend the night, have dinner ashore (just under 70nm, 5.6hrs @ 12knts. Then I'd get up fresh and head to Strouts in Freeport and be there in 72nm, 6hrs @ 12knts and be home for dinner.

Hope this helps.

If you decide to travel north from Freeport and find yourself heading up the Penobscot, I've got spare mooring in Stockton Harbor at the "Head of the Bay" (safe hurricane hole).

Later,

John
@John Hughes very helpful, thank you! I’ll have one or two buddies with me so we may start early and push our days a bit longer depending on weather, light, etc, but your general route seems right. I am planning to go through NYC and stay inside the sound.

Also, we are planning some summer trips up toward you so I’ll reach out, thank you!

Tallship

Ensign
Gents, thank you all for the nice comments and good wishes over the past months. Hard to believe it took so long to sell her but I guess that's life in a pandemic, at least I'll blame it on that. Dylan seems a very decent guy. I think the boat is getting a good home and hope she works out for him. I'm going to start him off right and throw in a varnish brush and a bottle of rum.

John, I agree with you completely; up the Bay through the C&D and Delaware Bay to Cape May. Nobody goes down and outside unless they have to, just a lot of open coast and very few places to duck in. I don't think it's any shorter in the first place. The Upper Chesapeake is also beautiful, be a shame to miss it. North of that I won't say. I've done it a few times but not enough to give advice, except to point out that the sea is very great and that boat is very small. I've had her out in some pretty good chops (we get short period, steep, nasty stuff, not big rollers) and she does fine if you don't push her hard, but I would take the protected route with options. I helped bring a Seaton 48' down from RI once. This was an 80,000#, stabilized trawler with trans-Atlantic range. We thought we were bad-asses and tried to go outside of Montaulk with 20+ forecast on the nose. After 8 hours making about 2 knots and pretending to be a submarine we turned tail and went inside. King Neptune reminded us who was boss! Plus, who would want to miss the scenic East River? Nothing like Hell's Gate with a 200' pusher coming up your stern!

On a final note, I may have sold the boat, but just to prove I haven't completely come to my senses, here's a picture of the console doors in the SeaCraft I'm putting back together....

View attachment 102956
Thanks for chiming in Bill! I will definitely make use of one of those gifts on the cruise north...

Hooper

Captain
I was just wondering what happened with this Nauset, such a great boat. I’m happy she’s in good hands. And the trip north to Maine sounds like a fantastic trip. Safe travels and congratulations to Bill on his sale and Dylan on his new ride!

Top Bottom