New Propulsion system: Quiet Drive

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by powderpro, Jan 13, 2018.

1. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    OceanAire Yachts – Yachts Repair and Service | Tollycraft

My friend is the owner of OceanAire Yachts, you should check out his website. He has developed this drive called Quiet Drive. It's a forward facing propeller similar to a Pod, but it's different than the other forward facing prop systems, because his prop is stationary with a large rudder aft of the prop. Seems like a much simpler and stronger design than the Pods where the whole unit turns. Anyway, thought you guys might be interested in looking at it. I have seen the unit in person, in his shop. It's pretty impressive looking, and built/designed to be simple and strong. I wish I had the money to build a recreational boat with this kind of propulsion system, the concept seems like it would work well in some applications.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. c1steve

c1steve Senior Member

That looks much more reliable than a pod drive. Still there would be trouble if one ran over a crab pot line, etc.

3. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Powderpro, what do you see as the benefits to this system and what kind of applications would you use it for? Why would you go with that system instead of a standard shaft setup? Just to get the engines in a different location? I would just think if you were going to spend the money on a pod style setup you would want the increased maneuverability that a rotating pod can provide.

4. Blackfindan

Blackfindan Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1977 24' Blackfin Combi (sold)
    Very well-made information video.

I am wondering about battery life for a recreational market in cold weather climates where the boat is not used for long periods of time. I was always under the impression that Lithium batteries need to drain and recharge frequently to keep peek performance.

Is there a maintenance schedule on the batteries that would have to be followed when the boat is on the hard for an extended period?

5. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    I think the most benefits with the Quiet Drive would be in a twin engine scenario. I don't see any advantage to the Pod style systems in a single inboard configuration, unless you like the novelty of being different or having the latest technology. Also, Jeff's drive was designed with an electric motor in mind, he has always told me the electric motor would be the equivalent torque to a 300-330hp diesel engine. So if a guy wanted an electric motor, his Quiet Drive would be a nice package.

The thing I like about Jeff's creation is that there are very few moving parts. The entire pod that mounts underneath the boat is built really solid and mounts stationary. Only the rudder moves, much like a conventional rudder on a downeast boat. So I think his Quiet Drive is stronger and has less moving parts than the other Pods on the market. His entire drive unit seems very sturdy and simple. Like I said, I wish I had the money to build a boat on spec using his drives, something in the 35'-42' range with 2 of these drives hooked to 355hp QSB's would be cool to try out.

6. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    36 Flowers and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    I like the idea, and I give them a lot of credit for thinking out side the box. Hope it takes off for them.

7. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    I was under the impression that these were electric drive only?

I love this idea if it could prove to work. Take a boat like my 36 Sabre with aging twin diesels at 300hp each. This system would probably shave 1000 lbs from the boat while adding Hp. Thinking one large genset (like 300Hp+ I think- video said 150-200kw) and no mains unless I missed the point. Free up a ton of space in the bilge too plus have WiFi lol.

8. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    It's an interesting concept, I'll look forward to watching the video about it when I get off the rig. We are diesel electric out here so I have a little familiarity with the subject. To get the power you're thinking(300+hp) I would think you would need at least 440v to efficiently transfer the power from the Genset to the pods.

9. AW_Holland32

AW_Holland32 Senior Member

The diesel hybrid setup is really interesting and works well in old and giant ships. See read below:
    Engineering
    I was on this boat last year and it’s remarkably smooth quick and quiet.
    I’d like to see a nice sporty downeast hull, say a holland 32, set up with that battery, electric, and tdi generator on a standard shaft and prop. Not to undermine his pod, which looks a lot better than what’s out there...
    Cruising around silently on a pleasure boat would be so sweet.. even at idle speed

10. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    They were definitely designed around an electric drive application, and that is how he is marketing them, but I'm assuming that they might be able to work with a conventional diesel engine. I don't see why they could not work with a diesel engine.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Toolate likes this.