New replacement Rails

Dstan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastporter 18
After a long winters storage I have finally moved my Eastporter-18 to a new driveway area where it will remain until repairs are completed (maybe by next year ?)
(I've attached 2 photos, taken before I brought it home and before I pressure washed the boat and cleaned it up)
This boat will be used for stripper and in-shore fishing, and mostly for winter sea duck hunting. The rails need to be durable but they'll be painted, so fancy wood is not necessary.
I am considering spruce as I can get it in long lengths and fairly inexpensive, though I guess ash might be a good choice.

My first thought is to lay-up several pieces (5 or 6) of 1 x 3 on edge, steam and bend to the correct horizontal curve, and then glue them up when dry. I would then cut it in half giving me two book-matched sides approximately 1 x 4 that I could smooth and shape, then bend to match the sheer of the gunwales.

Any thoughts,...and what would be the best glue to use for this application ? (I was thinking of using Weldwood Resorcinol Glue rather than Gorilla glue)

Thanks for your comment and advice !
Dana

DSC04062.jpg

DSC04060.jpg

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
If you can remove the old rail on one piece, lay it flat on your new stock of choice, and that will give you the proper curve you need. Then just make a few of them, stack them together, a little block plane action. Glue it and screw it...Easy peasy as someone here would say.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I've done this same job and used pressure treated lumber. You can get 1X4 (3/4 x 3-1/2) in long lengths but not 18'. I put 2 layers on each side of the hull staggering the joints using epoxy, clamps, & screws. I found clear stock but had to rummage the whole pile to get it. I had access to a planer so I planed it to 5/8 X 3 first. Came out very rigid, I see the boat in my mooring area and it's still looks good 10yrs later. No need for steam.

Some lumber yards don't have the 1 X 4 any more but many do.

Dstan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastporter 18
Thanks for your advice and comments !
After I pressure washed and bleached the hull, the interior actually looks very nice ! no more moss.
There is no doubt that Striper fishing will be a lot more fun if I have a few strippers on board, though they may be a bit squeamish about the sea worms !
I'll see if I can get the existing rails off in one piece to use as a template, then go from here.

Thanks again !

pugsley

Captain
There is no doubt that Striper fishing will be a lot more fun if I have a few strippers on board, though they may be a bit squeamish about the sea worms !

Thanks again !

don't worry, you can't scare a good stripper ;)

Top Bottom