new to board, some thoughts from you guys

FL76

Ensign
Hey gents, found this board researching down east boats.

I own a 2320 Parker, love the boat, but our first child is on the way and I believe my new job will be moving us to Puerto Rico in the fall. We want to look at something a bit larger and more stable then a full plaining hull. My search has brought me to a down east style hull. For the $$ and size range we are looking for, I have a few boats on my radar and was wondering if you guys could tell me if I am thinking along the correct lines.

Boat will be used for offshore fishing and family cruising in Caribbean and Florida Coast. Wife wants an AC in at least the cabin, so something with enough room to add a generator in the future. I want 15-18 knot realistic cruise without straining the motor on its top end, and 5-9 gal an hour at that speed. We will be buying used for 70-100k. So for that criteria I have come up with the following;

28 BHM/Seaworthy - Perfect size, love the fuel burn, hate the engine box
31 Duffy - Expensive
31 BHM - Seems to be one of the best sea boats, but a bit less efficient
35 Duffy - I only started looking at these because there are more on the market then 31's. What speed will 9 gph give me in this?

Your thoughts? Thanks!

DBM

Commander
Lite User

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Travis,

What do you mean "cut down?" Aren't they a bit narrower too?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
As I recall the story, David McGraw, Spencer Lincoln, Bruce Grindel and my father were sitting at a table. David and Spencer were in a heated argument about a new 28 foot boat, Spencer was going on and on as to how lines were needed and had to be drawn up from band new ideas. David said enough, got up, grabbed a set of lines from the BHM31 and a pair of scissors, started cutting, taped the whole rig together, threw it on the copier and printed out the lines for the new 28. Handed it to Spencer and said "there's the lines".

Later on they took a 31 unit out of the mold, did the same thing (only with power tools and fiberglass instead of scissors and tape) and the 28 was born.

The lowered 31 had 12" taken off the sheer at the bow and 6" at the transom, then faired true. Slick rig. As I said, there were only about 8 produced.

FL76

Ensign
I did not know that! Although there is a lot I don't know about downeast boats, so thanks for teaching me something :)

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
If you could find and obtain a lowered 31 you'd have something special, there were only 8 made..............[/QUOTE]Travis,was Johns Ice Breaker another??....i know it had a raised house...about a foot taller then the wee jack

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
If you could find and obtain a lowered 31 you'd have something special, there were only 8 made..............
Travis,was Johns Ice Breaker another??....i know it had a raised house...about a foot taller then the wee jack[/QUOTE]

Ice Breaker #1 was a standard BHM31
Ice Breaker #2 is a standard BHM28

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Travis,was Johns Ice Breaker another??....i know it had a raised house...about a foot taller then the wee jack

Ice Breaker #1 was a standard BHM31
Ice Breaker #2 is a standard BHM28[/QUOTE]
No number two is a crowley beal 28....but thanks for the info on the 31....i dont know where she went after he sold it.....it was nice

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
No number two is a crowley beal 28....but thanks for the info on the 31....i dont know where she went after he sold it.....it was nice

correction: it is a Wayne Beal 28[/QUOTE]
100 % Crowley Beal...ask your dad.....at the time i had two Wayne Beals at my shop....and John went to Jimmy Beal......there was a Wayne in your shop about the same time called A.M...but john had to have a Crowley..lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom