New to downeasters

davep

Ensign
First Name
Dave
I'm new to this forum and new to power boats.
Been a sailboater for many years but now ready to move to over to power
I am looking at a late model Eastern 31 Casco Bay with a Cummins 380 QSB. Boat is in good condition
Will keep the boat in Charleston, SC and use for day sails, fishing and coastal cruising. The Casco seems like a good choice for this.
I know that there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and so I am seeking advice/comments related to the Casco 31; what to look for;
possible issues and people's experience with these boats.
Have read that they can be a handful in a following or quartering sea but manageable with hand steering.
Appreciate any advice you can share.
Davep

goin4broke

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
Welcome to the forum. I have no personal experience with the 31 I have always admired the lines. I can tell you that engine propped, maintained and exhaust done correctly should outlive the owner.

Crabboater

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Rick
Boat Make
MDI 30 / Farrin
I'm new to this forum and new to power boats.
Been a sailboater for many years but now ready to move to over to power
I am looking at a late model Eastern 31 Casco Bay with a Cummins 380 QSB. Boat is in good condition
Will keep the boat in Charleston, SC and use for day sails, fishing and coastal cruising. The Casco seems like a good choice for this.
I know that there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and so I am seeking advice/comments related to the Casco 31; what to look for;
possible issues and people's experience with these boats.
Have read that they can be a handful in a following or quartering sea but manageable with hand steering.
Appreciate any advice you can share.
Davep
This is a great forum and that is a great rig, congrats! There are lots of Eastern 31 posts and pictures as well. Be sure to get a full survey and check for any core issues.

davep

Ensign
First Name
Dave
Thanks all!
Have a full survey - no core issues identified and low, low hours on engine
Engine has has high-rise exhaust, so hopefully no issues.
Looking forward to cruising the boat - maybe Bahamas and Maritimes where my wife's family is from.

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Thanks all!
Looking forward to cruising the boat - maybe Bahamas and Maritimes where my wife's family is from.
Seems like you have made or are close to making a good choice. Keep us posted. We will look forward to learning from your experiences.

Crabboater

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Rick
Boat Make
MDI 30 / Farrin
Thanks all!
Hi Dave P

sounds great. you may want to get connected with a DEBF forum member ARC out of Great South Bay on LI, as he has an Easterns 31 and appears to be quite knowledgeable on Fuel burn, etc

ARC

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
I could try to answer any questions as best I can . I run 7,500 miles trouble free. If you are around Long Island I’ll be happy to take you out

davep

Ensign
First Name
Dave
I could try to answer any questions as best I can . I run 7,500 miles trouble free. If you are around Long Island I’ll be happy to take you out
ARC
Thanks for the offer! Couple of questions:
  • Have you ever experienced water entering through the engine air scoops and any thoughts on directing this if it does enter the engine space. I will be keeping the boat in Charleston where it gets hot and humid - ideal for mold
  • Sounds like you have owned your boat for a while (7,500 miles). Are there any issues that you are aware of that I need to look for or prevent?
  • I may touch-up the teak and holly sole in the wheelhouse. Do you know if this is laminate or wood?

ARC

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
Some weather does enter the vents. Lucky Eastern formed air boxes to direct it to the bilge. It drains to the keel . You can put an eyebrows over the vent if you want. The floor is 1/4” teak ply on top of 3/4” ply. Be carful sanding. There are a few problems But not many. Water pools around the fuel fills. Make sure your o rings are new. The rudder piston mount is a weak link. Mine was bolted down to an unsupported post with lag bolts. They came loose. I made a stainless bracket that goes to the forward bulkhead . I welded studs to the bracket and bolted down the piston. Be carful with fuel management. I have 2 valves for each tank . Make sure you ALWAYS have both feed and return valves open to the tank you want to use And only that tank. I have 2- 8d’s in the bilge under the helm area. You can’t reach the back cells to water. I added a single point watering system. Some of the circuit breakers are rated too low for needed loads. If you have a next-Gen check to see that the batteries charge from it. Mine did not because you need an external charger. My inverter/ charger was purposly not on line with the generator so a second charger was needed. That’s a start for you. To put you at ease [ I have owned over 30 boats in 50 years. The Eastern 31’ has been the most reliable and trouble free of them all ]

davep

Ensign
First Name
Dave
Some weather does enter the vents. Lucky Eastern formed air boxes to direct it to the bilge. It drains to the keel . You can put an eyebrows over the vent if you want. The floor is 1/4” teak ply on top of 3/4” ply. Be carful sanding. There are a few problems But not many. Water pools around the fuel fills. Make sure your o rings are new. The rudder piston mount is a weak link. Mine was bolted down to an unsupported post with lag bolts. They came loose. I made a stainless bracket that goes to the forward bulkhead . I welded studs to the bracket and bolted down the piston. Be carful with fuel management. I have 2 valves for each tank . Make sure you ALWAYS have both feed and return valves open to the tank you want to use And only that tank. I have 2- 8d’s in the bilge under the helm area. You can’t reach the back cells to water. I added a single point watering system. Some of the circuit breakers are rated too low for needed loads. If you have a next-Gen check to see that the batteries charge from it. Mine did not because you need an external charger. My inverter/ charger was purposly not on line with the generator so a second charger was needed. That’s a start for you. To put you at ease [ I have owned over 30 boats in 50 years. The Eastern 31’ has been the most reliable and trouble free of them all ]
Thanks!!
That's great information. Let me check all this out and post a reply (probably in June/July).
Many thanks and good to know that you have been happy with the boat!

Crabboater

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Rick
Boat Make
MDI 30 / Farrin
Thanks!!
That's great information. Let me check all this out and post a reply (probably in June/July).
Many thanks and good to know that you have been happy with the boat!
Da Man!

hardcore1

Captain
the fuel tanks on these boats were originally foamed into a compartment that does not drain and may not be water tight. expect the tanks to last about 15 -20 years. the tanks on my eastern are replaced and ent back with no foam and we drilled limber holes in the compartments. eastern built a nice boat. their construction is good.

ARC

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
later model boats used poly tanks 2-100gal. There are limber holes in the aft section draining to the rudder room. It is very rare for a good poly tank to fail With diesel fuel.

Jason S

Commander
Lite User
First Name
Jason

ARC

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
‘Late’ model would be Nada core . Mine is 2008 . It’s all Nada core . You can see from the inside of the hull where it starts and stops. I pulled out plugs and it was bone dry. 1.25” sides and stern A3391AD8-42DA-4A5C-8C64-443B52013C7C.jpeg

davep

Ensign
First Name
Dave
Thanks for all the input.
Moisture readings were taken using a Protimeter Aquant Moisture Meter and precussion (hammer test)
No Moisture found. No insertions other than factory installed, so hull should be dry.
Nadacore plug looks really good with solid adhesion to both inner and outer FRP. Thanks for that pic! I confirmed with Eastern that they used nadacore above the chines.
T-Jason 25: Be good to meet if you are in Charleston also.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Thanks all!
"Engine has has high-rise exhaust, so hopefully no issues."

If you'd like to share a picture of the QSB 380 install and the exhaust....there are a number of "eagle eyes" on the forum :cool:
Welcome aboard.

davep

Ensign
First Name
Dave
"Engine has has high-rise exhaust, so hopefully no issues."

If you'd like to share a picture of the QSB 380 install and the exhaust....there are a number of "eagle eyes" on the forum :cool:
Welcome aboard.
I will post some pics as soon as I am able.
Thanks for all the inputs - very helpful.

Top Bottom