New to forum 20' lobster build

striperick

Lieutenant
Been a lurker here for some time .I am in the early stages of my first lobster skiff build (or build of any kind) . It is a 20' cold molded plywood boat. It is specd w/ 3/8" okume bulkheads and bottom and 2 layers of 3mm 1/8" okume plywood sides planked in the ashcroft method which is planked diagonally and staggered seams. It is designed w/ a 25 gallon tank below deck and is rated for a 25 to 60 hp outboard. I have attached a pic of what she will look like when done hopefully.

3-9-14.jpg

IMGP1231.jpg

IMGP1294.jpg

striperick

Lieutenant
The transom is finally closer. 9 total components ( 7 okume layers & 2 okume doublers) , 16 cutouts (5 @ each doubler 4 for stringers 1 for keel 1 for outboard notch)

I retained the cutoff for the outboard and may use it as the sacrificial piece between the outboard and the outside of the transom. It already has the correct radius.

What I cant figure out is when to attach the sacrificial piece to the transom and how. I assume it goes in after the transom is glass and epoxied? Maybe just 5200 around the perimeter? Does anyone have any ideas that they want to share?

3-21-14 transom.jpg

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
5200 is messy. If you are talking about a thin veneer for the transom for aesthetic reasons only- why not epoxy it with a few hot coats (on a layup table) and then use a thickened epoxy to adhere it to the glassed transom after it has cured? They now make a tube of thickened epoxy that can be applied easily with a common caulking gun and has very high tensile strength (7,500+).
Haters will hate, but epoxy is a very good product for boat building/repairing.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=64347

Artd

Ensign
Striperich who did you get the design from? I have been on the fence about building a boat about that size myself.

striperick

Lieutenant
This boat is called an outerbanks 20 by b and b yacht design. Nice bulliten board for help along the way is awesome. Graham the person who designed the plans is only an email away.

google them they have some nice Carolina type center consoles as well. They are designed to be light and powered with minimal power. I am looking for a boat for Narragansett Bay RI so I will have to slow it down.. I will probably pound in chop realistically.

Other ones to look at was the harbormaster, cabin skiff and pelican . I am short on time but I will give you all the links in a few.

striperick

Lieutenant
B & B Yacht Designs

Bateau: boat plans for amateurs

Devlin Designing Boat Builders - Pelicano 18 Shrimper

Outboards-boatdesign

That's the range of boats plans that I picked from. Enough to make your head spin. Some are stitch and glue some are not just a different way of getting to the finish line.

There is also the tollman skiffs. Saw threads on those that are absolutely amazing. Great reputation and again using lower hp.

If you are series about a build contact any of the options above and they will provide you w/ material list for free. Just so you know what you are getting into.

I picked my build based on I like the theory of light and strong.
I loved the looks and I will probably purchase a Yamaha 40 or 50 4 stroke when done or maybe an ETEC . But I have been lucky w/ Yami

striperick

Lieutenant
They have a bulliten board off their website that has a few 20' and 24' center consoles (called the Oracoke) currently in production. There is also the option of buying just the plans (like I did) and getting the materials locally .

striperick

Lieutenant
Is it finished ???? I am hoping for spring 2015!!! Was it a good choice? Yes. I do have years of woodworking experience to fall back on. Trying to read as much as I can on epoxy on forums like this for things I am not experienced at .

There are easier ways to build like to purchase the entire kit with the parts already shaped or to build a "stitch and glue" boat . I didnt go kit route for 2 reasons.... 1) to try to keep cost down 2) I set a long term goal for myself w/ this build.... As I get older I am starting to realize everything in this world is instantaneous and I wanted to see if I could challenge myself to meet a long term goal.

Albert Jr.

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Boston Whaler, Alliance and other random brands
I'm hoping to do a build with the same exact plans in the future.
Been searching for someone who's doing this build and I've finally found it.

Thanks for sharing and I hope it'll all go well with the build.
Tight lines and goodluck.

Albert Jr.

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Boston Whaler, Alliance and other random brands
I'm hoping to do a build with the same exact plans in the future.
Been searching for someone who's doing this build and I've finally found it.

Thanks for sharing and I hope it'll all go well with the build.
Tight lines and goodluck.

striperick

Lieutenant
If I can be of any help let me know. Check out their message boards . Great help along the way.

striperick

Lieutenant
got the side stringers cut and bending into place. Will start side planking soon. 6-5-14a.jpg

rsz_6-5-14b.jpg

6-5-14a.jpg

rsz_6-5-14b.jpg

striperick

Lieutenant
No not all bulkheads stay. The one closest to the keel stays. It is where the anchor rope is stored. The next 2 bulkheads are temporary and the stability is replaced with the bunks. I am attaching a pic of the modest cabin. B&B 050.jpg

B&B 050.jpg

Top Bottom