New to forum and designing a new marine window for this market

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Brandon Reid, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

Hi There,
    Thank you for letting me join this group.
    I work for a marine window company call Beclawat Manufacturing and we design and manufacture windows for the transportation industry. Traditionally we have served the heavy commercial and Navy marine markets but we are looking to design a window for fishing vessels that is high quality and appealing to the eye. Can anyone provide feedback in what they like or don`t like about the current windows and or supplier?

Check out our website for some of the stuff we are currently doing www.beclawat.com

Here are some questions to get the discussion going but feel free to comment on anything at all with regards to windows(some geared towards builders):

• What don’t you like about current supplier offerings?
    • What are typical bulkhead thicknesses?
    • What are the operating conditions?
    • How long does it take you to install a window? Do you have suggestions to speed it up?
    • Are your boats used in salt-water?
    • What are the ranges of glass thicknesses required?
    • What would be the ideal reasonable delivery time?
    • How many different finishes would be required?
    • Can windows be slightly proud of bulkhead to aid in drainage or do you prefer a more flush look?
    • What is your target price for the fixed window and slider window?
    • How do you feel about glass being adhesive bonded to the frame?
    • Do you ever use any sort of trim frame to cover the window on the inside or is it totally exposed?
    • Do you ever offer mitered windows on your boats?
    Thanks
    Brandon Reid

Business Development Manager

Beclawat Manufacturing Inc.

www.beclawat.com

E: breid@beclawat.com C: 613-813-2397 P: 613-966-5611 X252 F: 613-966-0878

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Not a builder, but have maintained and installed a few windows over the years from Wynn, diamond sea glaze and plate glass installed in rubber gasket.

Biggest issue for me was the aluminum frames corroding, mainly on the inside and lower tracks from two different manufacturers. Also, the “cheapness” of some of the plastic parts vs. cost of replacement. Inner seals also failed and cause opening windows to leak because of corrosion and cheap gasket material.

3. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

Thanks For the feedback El Mar. We are collecting information on the hardware and seals and would consider using stainless hardware if that is what people want. casted aluminum hardware is another option. We are also getting away from butyl tape for glazing the windows. Some customers what us to glaze with a bostik adhesive but it means you cannot replace glass down the road. We are also looking at extruded glazing channels which we use in some of our heavy duty compression glazed windows. Thanks again for commenting

4. 05bill

05bill Captain

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    i personally like the rubber gasket windows. recently had one broken and it was very simple to replace. i do maintain them with spray wax .
    not sure they even do them any more ?

5. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    The stainless against aluminum is what causes accelerated corrosion.....

steveinak likes this.
  6. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

We have used different ways to isolate the aluminum from the stainless steel that has been largely successful in preventing corrosion between the dissimilar metals if you are using aluminum for your main frame. We are also seeing a demand for a stainless steel clamp-in window which we make for the offshore market

7. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

Rubber gasket is still available and fine if you are only planning on going out in calm seas. I wouldn't want to take a wave into the bow with one. the other problem is a venting solution as most rubber mounting is only fixed glass

cbelote likes this.
  8. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Building a new boat now and would love a sleek clean look of a frameless window that opens. Did the DS windows on my last build and had issues with the powder coating failing on the frames. To be honest aluminum frames would be fine if we could avoid the corrosion and failing coating issue.
    The other Big factor is support to the builder and customer after the sale in a timely fashion. I have dealt with a bunch of window manufactures and it all sounds good up front prior to the sale but many have not lived up to the hype. I get it, a small boat shop in Maine is not going to do the volume of a much larger company building whatever that needs windows but, if you want to make a mark in this small industry customer support and standing behind the product would go a long way in changing opinions. The small shops in Maine don't or can't afford to spend time arguing with a window company over issues or any company for that matter where the product out of the box is defective.

Genius likes this.
  9. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

Thanks for the reply. I love visiting the boat builders in Maine. Some of the easiest going and nicest people I work with. I agree with you on the support side for sure. We don't get a lot of warranty issues but our price reflects the quality we do. We do a lot of bonded in glass and we are currently developing a sliding option as we are seeing the demand for this as well. feel free to give me a call if you want to talk more about windows with a frit. with regards to coating failure I know some window manufactures will pre-anodize the extrusions and bend them after to suit your dimensions. this process will leave crazing in the corners and compromise the integrity of the anodized finish.... We do not do this as all of our anodizing is done after bending. We have also been told by our painters that a pre-anodized stick will not hold the powdercoat as well because of certain chemicals used in the anodizing process. this could be a reason for powdercoat failure.

Thanks Brandon
    613 813 2397

10. capecodda

capecodda Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Make one that opens and doesn't leak even with green water coming over the foredeck. Build in a wiper so that mechanism is water tight too. I'm not talking leaks in mounting to the cabin, I mean in the window and gasket. Gasket so that even if the window is tilted, there's no place for water to build up in the bottom and leak into the cabin. I don't care what it looks like, make it water tight. Do it well, and I'll place the first order. Sick of running in a seaway with a puddle in the cabin.

ErikT and Genius like this.
  11. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

upload_2019-7-19_14-56-11.png Thanks for the reply, We make a heavy duty vent out that the coast guard uses(see pictures attached). It has brass lock down tightening dogs that will give you maximum compression on the vent frames seal. We also do not use a fulcrum glazing on the vent panel. the glass is held in with drilled and tapped aluminum ring and we can either backfill the frame with bostik adhesive or a channel gasket....if you use bostik like alot guys who build rescue boats and pilot boats do the glass will never leak but you will never get it out of the frame. they like using bostik in these boats because they take a beating in rough water and this makes them very sturdy.....What we want to do is make a window that combines quality and looks good but not break the bank......unfortunately we don't supply wipers at this time so we can't help you there

capecodda likes this.
  12. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

upload_2019-7-19_15-12-54.png this is another one that would probably work for you....it gets used in some heavy environments
    [​IMG]

ErikT and capecodda like this.
  13. capecodda

capecodda Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    I'll be taking this on this winter. These options look great!

14. toolmaker

toolmaker Senior Member

---will you be displaying at IBEX ?
    thx, Capt Jay

15. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

Capt Jay, We will not be at IBEX unfortunately. Our current line is very commercial looking and we have found that from a aesthetics point of view we are not up to par for some builders. Our function and quality is excellent but we need to have more consistent look across our offering. this means cleaner sight lines and equal overlap of the flange and clamp rings across all models. Right now we are inconsistent with our clamp ring dimensions and flange overlap when you look at our slider/fixed and vent. We are going to factor all these things in with the new line and most likely show at IBEX and the fisherman forum. With all that said there are still guys in the smaller boat building market that only use our windows because of the quality but our main market is offhore oil, coast guard, tugs etc.

16. Brandon Reid

Brandon Reid Member

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail or call when your ready 613 813 2397 breid@beclawat.com

capecodda likes this.
  17. Dslpwr

Dslpwr Senior Member

Sales and service
    Boat Make:
    35' Mitchell Cove waiting to be laid up
    Brandon,
    Currently in the beginning of a 35 Mitchell cove build, looking for miter windows, with one opening in operator station, would order the end of September and need by end of november

18. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    I know you were at the shop and saw my boat, if you are willing to put in the time and effort with the builder I am willing to listen to getting your windows in this market but it isn't going to come easy. You need to have happy customers out there promoting your product, on your end talk is cheap but people that hear it from end users is worth the weight in gold. A happy customer will sell you more windows than you can imagine in this market.

ErikT, sailor of fortune and Genius like this.
  19. toolmaker

toolmaker Senior Member

10-4

20. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    whats one of those in a 24x32 size cost ??