New to me Bristol Skiff 17

First Name
Ben
Hi all

Long time reader but new member.

Picked up a 2008 Bristol Skiff 17' from Vermont on Saturday. She has a 2006 Yamaha 40 hp.

Always been in freshwater, until this past weekend...finally got her saltwater baptism!!

Sweet Baby J was originally owned by James Taylor for his annual trip to Lake Champlain.

She will be trailered from Beverly and mainly Salem waters and Plum Island Sound, fly fishing and beach runs.

Including some photos, please any advice is appreciated.

First thing, I would like to move the battery to below the center console, better weight distribution and there is plenty of cable off the motor to move it.

Would also like to put a Yeti 35 in front of the console, there is a wood bench there now, movable.

Also, she has no electronics or gauges, I would like to get a tachometer and planning on a Garmin Echomap 7"

Thanks

Ben

65386845927__6EEFED4E-ADB6-456E-8572-DA2275832D54.fullsizerender.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

Toots

Lieutenant
That is cool that is was owned by James Taylor. Does it emanate silky smooth tunes?

Jokes aside, that is a handsome looking rig that doesn't need much. Good luck and enjoy

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Pretty boat. The only thing missing from your plans is rod holders for trolling.

If you want a Garmin 7" grab this while its on sale:

I bought this unit from that website last year and really like it. Spent a lot of time researching the different Garmin units. While the UHD units are out it doesn't sound like they are worth the extra cash. The GT51m seems to be a good transducer and matches well with the 74sv.

I used it for nav and fishfinding last year, this year I have a Raymarine nav/radar setup that came on my boat so I just use the Garmin for backup nav and fish finding. Still trying to learn the sidevue. But like the traditional vue most and toggle back and forth between SV/Trad split screen and trad vue.

Captn' Spalding

Lieutenant
First Name
Adam
Boat Make
1976 Unknown Novi Skiff
What a lovely skiff.

I am in the process of electronics installation. I have looked at a lot of chartplotters an I seem to keep going back to the Garmin units. I am planning to go with a 9 inch unit for my boat. The advice Ive gotten is get a little more than you think you need. I have the room so a 9 inch will be ordered soon. You can get the UHD 94sv for about 900 with a transducer with the right blowout sale. Those come with the GT54.

First Name
Ben
What a lovely skiff.

I am in the process of electronics installation. I have looked at a lot of chartplotters an I seem to keep going back to the Garmin units. I am planning to go with a 9 inch unit for my boat. The advice Ive gotten is get a little more than you think you need. I have the room so a 9 inch will be ordered soon. You can get the UHD 94sv for about 900 with a transducer with the right blowout sale. Those come with the GT54.
I have been looking at the UHD 74 with the transducer. However, on the skiff I will have to mount it on top of the console with no weather protection while running. I see a lot of flats boats in the Keys run that way. Not sure if anyone has mounted their plotter without weather protection on here.

Captn' Spalding

Lieutenant
First Name
Adam
Boat Make
1976 Unknown Novi Skiff
Ive seen numerous mounted on the bail rather then recessed into the dash. Seems to work fine. Its more exposed so I would dielectric grease fittings and do your best to keep things cleaned off.

First Name
Ben
I am planning on a Garmin 7” on the console and am also nervous about salt water exposure while underway. Looking at the flats boats down south many have the same size console as the Bristol with an unprotected gps on top.

60A0439F-172E-49C3-9F62-315BBFCC169A.png

First Name
Ben
What a lovely skiff.

I would like to add the 9" 94sv instead of the 7 now. Thinking that most of the time I am standing while running and it is a lot easier to see a big screen while getting tossed around. I'm going to need to mock a couple up and see if the 9 is not too big.

Captn' Spalding

Lieutenant
First Name
Adam
Boat Make
1976 Unknown Novi Skiff
Look forward to seeing what you end up doing. My project came to a hold due to some other things going on. Plus I cant seem to find a really good price on the 94sv at the moment. Seems like everyone is blowing out the one that comes with the older transducer. New transducer still at a premium. Im sure the old style will work just fine, but trying to hold out for a good end of season sale.

First Name
Ben
Look forward to seeing what you end up doing. My project came to a hold due to some other things going on. Plus I cant seem to find a really good price on the 94sv at the moment. Seems like everyone is blowing out the one that comes with the older transducer. New transducer still at a premium. Im sure the old style will work just fine, but trying to hold out for a good end of season sale.
Are you waiting for the GT54 transducer?

Captn' Spalding

Lieutenant
First Name
Adam
Boat Make
1976 Unknown Novi Skiff
I looks like the for the GT56UHD-TM transducer may be the replacement for the 54.

Top Bottom