New to site

dtuck

Lieutenant Commander
I just discovered this site a week ago and cannot stop reading all the threads! I have been in love with downeast boats for some time and being from Florida, where you rarely see them, that is saying something. The large center console, go-fast boats that are sold here never really appealed to me. I like solid, economical tanks!! A downeast from 30-33ft is in my future, just a matter of when. My intent is to retire and cruise the Bahamas for 3-4 days at a time. Couple of questions, what is meant by a wet keel? and what do you all mean by semi-displacement hull? Thank you to everyone!!!!

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Welcome aboard Dtuck

A wet keel is a keel area that is partitioned off and filled with sea water to lubricate the bearings for the shaft.

And semi-displacment is that the hull shape of these boats aren't full displacement, but they share characteristics of that style along with a running surface where they are able to plane while underway to a certain degree. These type boats are meant to be used in all kinds of weather, not just the good flat calm days. Not uncommon to see the rest of the fleet tied up and a few good ol' boys out in the squawl enjoying themselves in their downeasters :)

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Welcome.
A wet keel is one in which there is no shaft tube and the keel fills with sea water to lubricate the bearings.
Semi-displacement is a hull form that will plane but not like a true planing hull and will not push along like a true displacement vessel.
A semi-displacement boat will develop some lift if pushed fast enough and be somewhat planning.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Welcome aboard. The good thing about semi-displacement hulls is that they work well at a wide range of speeds and are very comfortable to ride on at moderate speeds where a planning boat might be barely on or not on plane. Downeasters are more sea-kindly and efficient than planing hulls at moderate speeds that are often the facts of life if you have to go in rough weather. And a good mid-sized downeaster can keep often up with a much larger planing hull when it's sloppy out, especially going upsea.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom