New top

Looking into putting on a new top and possibly stretching the cabin back on my 31 BHM. Wonder if anyone has done a project like this?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Looking into putting on a new top and possibly stretching the cabin back on my 31 BHM. Wonder if anyone has done a project like this?

Talk with Danny who owns the 31 BHM "Mary D" out of Newburyport/Salisbury.

He re-did his 31 from the wash rails up !

He's on the forum...can't remember his user name

Lucky Ticket

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Northcoast
Dkd

DKD is his user name. beautiful 31 bhm recently redone. Hope he doesnt mind heres a pic from this site.
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
im in the process of extending my 31 bhm cabin and redoing the whole thing. mine is a molded top that all the core in the roof and trunk cabin roof is wet, so im just removing everything and making it new. danny is one of the guys helping me with mine.

DKD

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
That picture is from before the rebuild. Here are a couple pictures of the rebuilt extended wheelhouse. It took some good friends, a pallet of beer and around 400 hrs to complete the project. The only thing that I reused were the front windows and I wish they were a few inches longer from top to bottom, I may add a stripe down the side of the wheelhouse to break it up a bit.

Boat 3.jpg

Boat 4.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

jnoon

Lieutenant Commander
Looks great! I like the portlights in the trunk, did you have to reduce the size(height) of the opening from the ones in the old pic? what brand did you go with?

DKD

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
The Portlights are made by Winne. As long as you have the 3" rad corners they will make them. They were cheaper to have them made than the ones you find in the stores. The openings were cut to size because the trunk was new construction.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
That picture is from before the rebuild. Here are a couple pictures of the rebuilt extended wheelhouse. It took some good friends, a pallet of beer and around 400 hrs to complete the project. The only thing that I reused were the front windows and I wish they were a few inches longer from top to bottom, I may add a stripe down the side of the wheelhouse to break it up a bit.

Not sure how you made it through without a couch and lazyboy there. Holy crap that is a nice warehouse. I would have a huge crew hanging around all day if that were my place.

Sweet boat too.

cb34

Rear Admiral

Awesome job, is that building in Newburyport? Looks to be way to big for one boat;) Rental space?

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
"I may add a stripe down the side of the wheelhouse to break it up a bit."

I did this two years ago to my JC and what a difference it makes cosmetically. Def helps break it up and gives the lines more appeal.

SIDEDRIFAN.jpg

DRIFANZ13.jpg

PlumIs

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 H&H
You did a nice job on it, looks awesome. What kind of windows did you use on the side of the wheelhouse? Did you use wood or a coring on the side of the wheelhouse?

Joshbel02

Commander
Website
www.allagashbuilders.com
Boat Make
Sonny Hodgeton/Wayne Beal

if i was you...i would core your top, improves power/weight...spend a few extra bucks for the time your taking. Make a lay up bench, may even save you time and $...also performance and value is huge. Check into a new top, easy enough to transport with trailer too. The money in fuel in three years pays for any extra money you spend. If you had a wood boat, plywood glassed over is great, quick, cheap and easy and that's what you will end up with. Also if you want to put weight to a boat.... do yourself a favor and put it low...;-)

DKD

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
Thanks for the compliments. I am very happy with the way it came out.

CB34 - That was a friends building. Unfortunately he is using it for it's intended use now other than our playground. It was the ideal spot !!

Toolate -Couch and lazy boy, no time for that we had everything from mini bikes, scooters to batting cages set up in there. I can tell you the kids are missing it this winter and I think my wife is too ........

PlumIs - The windows in the boat are Wynne windows. All the windows except for the front are tinted. They are great windows in my mind. I will say that if you put an opening window in the front of your boat most likely it will leak. I opted to stay with it.

Out of sight - Yes, The boat was completely stripped from the hull up. Everything on the top side is new. You are welcome to check it out if you would like to get some ideas and I also have pics of the whole build. A new molded top is available but the price I was quoted would give you a heart attack for a "rough molded top".

The new rails and wheelhouse are all marine plywood glassed over both sides. The inside was finished to a rough sand finish and gel coated and the out was fared and sanded for many hours and gel coated.

Do yourself a favor and build your boat how you want to build your boat and don't let others spend your money. Your building a BHM not a speed boat. I'm know my BHM with gear will cruse 16 knots at 2100 RPM and 22 knots wide open at 2800 RPM and am convinced that I would burn the same fuel weather I used plywood or cored material.

Perhaps you should hire Joshbel02 to build your boat ???? Your performance and value will go up and you will have fuel flowing out of your pockets. Unless you want the "quick, cheap and easy way out".

Believe me there was no quick, cheap or easy about it.

I like my plywood boat.... And I'm sure when it goes for sale the next owner will too.

Last edited:

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Believe me when I tell you, DKD and his buddies have an immense amount of time and energy into this topside rebuild. I think that he is correct in saying that building with composites would not have changed much as far as speed and efficiency goes in the 31 BHM. I owned one previously and they are just not known as speed boats and his makes excellent speed by BHM standards! FRP(fiberglass reinforced plywood) has been an outstanding way of building for many years and will be for many more. What we don't know is what future problems we are going to have with all the composite materials being used today. I for one am hopeful nothing too bad comes out of them since that was the route I went last year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom