New VHF Garmin Vs Icom

Renegade24

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
Just put new electronics in the boat. Garmin. I see that Garmin sells a VHF that has NEMA 2000 connectivity. Models 115 and 215. I personally have never had a Garmin VHF. I have always have Icom. So that leads to the next model i am looking at which is the Icom M506. Looking to hook them into the chart plotter threw the NEMA 2000 cable to be able to use DCS if ever neended. Was wondering if anyone has experience with the Garmin VHF and any comments on it. Or if anyone likes the Icom better. Thanks

RGT

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Wharf Rat led me to the M506. Good unit. We also have these at work.

If I could....and afford it.....I'd have a Sailor unit with a handset like the old rotary phones. The best IMO. Almost happened last week, but I was too late. Someone snagged it.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
Wharf Rat led me to the M506. Good unit. We also have these at work.

If I could....and afford it.....I'd have a Sailor unit with a handset like the old rotary phones. The best IMO. Almost happened last week, but I was too late. Someone snagged it.
I love the Icoms... I worked for a company that junked a bunch of those green Sailor units...Agreed, those were awesome radios.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Got all Garmin stuff for my Holland, didn't consider radios in there and was considering the same thing on what to do. I think unless I see a bad trend will be Garmin to match.

Like everyone I'm sure, I have had a half dozen brands, uniden, icom, west marine brand, etc etc and never noticed much difference aside from little features. Antennas are where all the problems seem to arise.

Renegade24

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
Got all Garmin stuff for my Holland, didn't consider radios in there and was considering the same thing on what to do. I think unless I see a bad trend will be Garmin to match.

Like everyone I'm sure, I have had a half dozen brands, uniden, icom, west marine brand, etc etc and never noticed much difference aside from little features. Antennas are where all the problems seem to arise.

I was seeing if anybody had had any problems with the garmins. I mean when you compare both the ICOM and the Garmin. The ICOM has more features. But then you can also buy the Garmin 115 with Nema connectivity for $349. Compared to the ICOM M506 for $499. And your pretty much giving up the last transmission recording feature which I’ve never had. When you say problem with the antennas what do you mean by that?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Talk to wharf rat. All radios are not equal. It's the stuff inside you don't see, that makes the difference.

Renegade24

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
Talk to wharf rat. All radios are not equal. It's the stuff inside you don't see that make a difference.
Ok cool. I have to give him a shout today anyway praying that my transducer isn’t gunna be back ordered till November

Kenneth

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 - SeaArk 1860
I've put all Garmin in the Dyer project except the VHFs, for those I went with Wharf Rats recommendation and went with two Icom 506, one with AIS. The beauty of NMEA 2000 is that everything can communicate and really there is very little data from the VHF that you want to display on the MFD.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I was seeing if anybody had had any problems with the garmins. I mean when you compare both the ICOM and the Garmin. The ICOM has more features. But then you can also buy the Garmin 115 with Nema connectivity for $349. Compared to the ICOM M506 for $499. And your pretty much giving up the last transmission recording feature which I’ve never had. When you say problem with the antennas what do you mean by that?

VHF's rarely ever fail, antenna's and the connections do.

Put 2 radios in your boat with 2 antenna's - 10 years later the radio's are going to be fine but you probably have replaced an antenna a few times, that's my experience.

P18Flirt

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
Pointer 18 / BHM 28

Renegade24

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
I just did a SH GX 2400... seemed like a lot of bang for the buck and wanted the AIS/ NMEA 2000. Also installed RAM4 mic on bridge, and hailer for the fog horn/PA.

Have not used yet, but have powered up and is very user friendly to scroll though menus. Also the AIS via NMEA 2000 came up right away on Simrad Evo3... truly plug and play which was cool.
Yeah I had come across the SH GX 2400 and and after talking to wharf rat and Hamilton marine I’ve found out the ICOM M506 has been discontinued. So I did some reading on the GX2400 and I believe that’s the route I am going to go.

Top Bottom