New VHF Radio Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Precision Marine Center- Discount Electronics' started by Capt. Rick, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Capt. Rick

Capt. Rick Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31 RP Willis Beal
    Hey! I had originally installed 2 new ICOM HM-157 VHF radios in the boat with digital marine antennas. At the time, I believed ICOM was the best. Both radios failed and went back to ICOM for repairs. Now, one of the radios is not working again, and the one that is, I am afraid will quit too whcn needed the most. So I am looking to replace the radios. Not looking for cheap, I want dependable. The antennas are great, want to re-use those. It would be nice to replace with a similar sized units. Any recommendations?
    Thank you for your replies.

2. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Rick,
    I had the same problem with their 502 and 504 radios. Every time it was the same problem, the radio would not receive unless the squelch was turned all the way down. I was told by the folks at the Icom service center that it was caused by bad diodes, and again told again by Icom America after another repair. I switched both radios out for Standards and haven't had any issues.
    Looking back I wonder if some of the LED lighting on the boat was blowing out the diodes in the radio when both were on at the same time.
    I will never know but the Standards have been fine on the boat.

Jackson and Genius like this.
  3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Had same issues with the 502/504's, more often though with the M504. Strangely, the M504-A didn't have that problem. We've sold a ton of the M506's, and prior to that the Go To radios were the Standard Horizon GX5500S and Icom M604, which are both unfortunately discontinued. Right now we don't have much of a sample size of the GX6000, which replaced the 5500, so I would recommend either the M506, the M605, or possibly the Sailor 6216. The Sailor doesn't offer any major bells and whistles, just a very solid meat and potatoes VHF radio.

Genius likes this.
  4. Genius

Genius Captain

I've expressed how much I really like the Sailor unit in past discussions. Awesome unit, not sure of the model unit I was using, but it was commercial quality. The handset option is different than most are used to, but really is great especially in a noisy environment. Next year, it is on the list of items to upgrade to.

5. Capt. Rick

Capt. Rick Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31 RP Willis Beal
    Thank you fellas for your replies...….