Newbie from Ches. Bay, Md. and anxious for cruising Downeaster!

rcwtristan

Lieutenant
Hi - Bob here, from Chesapeake Bay area. New to the DE Forum but am finding lots of great info on it. My wife and I have put 20,000 miles on our sailboat in last 14 years (40', full keel, mid-heavy displcmt Island Packet). But now we're changing gears and looking at downeasters. Real downeasters. Found out pretty early on there's a bunch of cruising boats out there that 'look' like downeasters (above the waterline) but underneath sits no keel, two engines, and a couple props laying 12" lower than lowest point on hull. (GrandBanks Eastbays, Saberlines, BackCoves, etc).

Was in Canada a few weeks ago looking at a private sale 36' BHM, and now looking at a few 35' Duffys, but have yet to find what we're looking for (something in the 34' - 36' range, keeled, single engine, age maybe in the year 2000 to 2005 range, outfitted as a cruising boat to spend some weeks and months at a time on).

Good to see this forum exists!!

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Welcome aboard!
From personal cruising experience, I would recommend you look to go a little bigger 38-40' if your planning on more then a week at a time on board. I have done 8 days on my 35 and after a while things get a lil cramped.
Good luck on your search.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
What kind of use and where do you plan on going? Sounds like a dream come true...welcome.

MarkP

Ensign
Welcome! its one heck of a site and geared to new buyers like yourselves. I am sure the advise and knowledge you will receive will prove to be priceless in your new search. That's quite a few miles you have obtained, where have you sailed too? I am sure you have many experiences cruising the open oceans we'd love to hear. May I ask sails to power why the change after so much time? I have a love for fishing which is why sailing would not be a realistic choice for myself. However, I appreciate the serenity and the ability to travel miles on end with myself being the only limitation that you've experienced.

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE

rcwtristan

Lieutenant
Welcome! its one heck of a site and geared to new buyers like yourselves. I am sure the advise and knowledge you will receive will prove to be priceless in your new search. That's quite a few miles you have obtained, where have you sailed too? I am sure you have many experiences cruising the open oceans we'd love to hear. May I ask sails to power why the change after so much time? I have a love for fishing which is why sailing would not be a realistic choice for myself. However, I appreciate the serenity and the ability to travel miles on end with myself being the only limitation that you've experienced.
A couple of you asked about our plans and past sails. Not sure how we accumulated 20,000 miles in the 14 years. Seems like a lot of going in circles, no big ocean crossings or anything too exciting. Anywhere from Newport area to Florida, we've put in time cruising. Usually out for a 4-6 week trip every summer, with a bunch of 1-2 weekers thrown in, and plenty of weekend short-trips. Me and my wife and the 2 cats. The miles add up... Future cruise plans - actually more of the same. Maybe get inland W/NW from NY CIty up the Hudson, Lake Champlain, toward St Lawrence - since with a DE boat I won't be looking up 54' of mast!

Thanks for the 2 fellows who sent Yachtworld referrals. Two Duffy 35s, Florida and NY. - have checked out both already (on paper), but still looking. I have yachtworld pretty well covered (too well, per wife); hoping maybe I'll stumble across a private listing somewhere while waiting for 'the perfect boat' to show up on yachtworld. The BHM36 I went and looked at in Canada was a private ad, Soundings and Passagemaker, no broker.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
A couple of you asked about our plans and past sails. Not sure how we accumulated 20,000 miles in the 14 years. Seems like a lot of going in circles, no big ocean crossings or anything too exciting. Anywhere from Newport area to Florida, we've put in time cruising. Usually out for a 4-6 week trip every summer, with a bunch of 1-2 weekers thrown in, and plenty of weekend short-trips. Me and my wife and the 2 cats. The miles add up... Future cruise plans - actually more of the same. Maybe get inland W/NW from NY CIty up the Hudson, Lake Champlain, toward St Lawrence - since with a DE boat I won't be looking up 54' of mast!

Thanks for the 2 fellows who sent Yachtworld referrals. Two Duffy 35s, Florida and NY. - have checked out both already (on paper), but still looking. I have yachtworld pretty well covered (too well, per wife); hoping maybe I'll stumble across a private listing somewhere while waiting for 'the perfect boat' to show up on yachtworld. The BHM36 I went and looked at in Canada was a private ad, Soundings and Passagemaker, no broker.
Welcome to the forum, I too was a sailor who converted to the "dark side" a few years ago and went with downeast boats so I think you will like the conversion. Your IP was a solid cruising sailboat and I am sure you will find a solid DE cruiser on this site if you are patient. A great group of folks here who post most everything they think and know about and do on a regular basis.

rcwtristan

Lieutenant
Now that I've intro'd myself, will stop posting on this thread, and will continue seeking input on my other thread in the CLASSIFIED section. That thread is titled "Looking for 34' - 36' DE equipped for cruising". Anyone with input on a year 2000 to 2005 good shape, well equipped DE fitting that description your input there will be appreciated. And yes, i know, it will take a few bucks to get that.

Top Bottom