newbie from hatteras

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
33 uniflite (old capt gig), 26 shamrock, 15 skiff, 21 beach dory
Good morning , paul here been lurking for a couple weeks and decided to sign up. My original reasonwas and is researching a new to me towboat. I have enjoyed reading all the threads? (If I don't say something correct pardons I don't do well on computers or typing) anyway I'm currently running a 25 shamrock cc as my primary towboat w/A 210 CUMMINS 1.5-1, 28 indraft. In rreading on here a 26 fortier or 29 dyer might suit my needs unless you guys have other ideas.I really can't see buying a nice hull only to cut the trunk off . With my current design my console is the front of myengine box and my seat pedastal is mounted on eng box saves a lot of room. I would be looking to do the same.btw I liked the thread on the shams
All of which is true , had some good laughs but the old gal hasm brought me home plentty of times some of it only by gods grace. Anyway I'll be on and listening any input greatly appreciated. Oh yea any one familiar with 26 willards? And aguy in florida has a 26 fortier with a m300ti perkins sabre 03 or 04 , 3200 hrs this one would be easiest to modify so far any yays or nays on engine ? My major concern is 5in recommended exhaust boat still has 4 thanks again paul

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Welcome to the forum. Shamrocks are a great gateway boat- turns a lot of guys into downeaster believers before long!

26 Fortier is a great hull, but off the bat my first concern would be whether its the right fit for your application. you say you'd use it as a tow boat, so i'm not sure how much a physical beating you'd want to put on the hull since it is cored.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I would also be concerned about draft. I realize your current boat has a small keel, but if you get something that draws more water it could be a problem trying to get a customer off a sand bar.

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Thanks for the replies capt john, thedraft issue is close to the same as my shamrock is 28 in(rebored shaft alley and added 5" to keel, 19" prop) and from what I gather the fortier draws 31. Black diamond i don't really (try not to) bang into alot of things and I carry 3 or 4 poly balls if I go on the hip its usually in a harbor I use it primarily for stern towing and ungroundings. I wrapped my sham with 2"aluminum angle with pvc rub rail which might be tthe only thing still keeping her together. Steve I talked to other towers about jets and they said that in shallow water they will suck to the bottom if you aren't careful but I do appreciate the input from all and if I missed what yall were trying to get across ( I'm good at that just ask my wife) let me know stay safe on the water

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Oh yeah anyone familiar with the perkins saber m300ti ?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks for the replies capt john, thedraft issue is close to the same as my shamrock is 28 in(rebored shaft alley and added 5" to keel, 19" prop) and from what I gather the fortier draws 31. Black diamond i don't really (try not to) bang into alot of things and I carry 3 or 4 poly balls if I go on the hip its usually in a harbor I use it primarily for stern towing and ungroundings. I wrapped my sham with 2"aluminum angle with pvc rub rail which might be tthe only thing still keeping her together. Steve I talked to other towers about jets and they said that in shallow water they will suck to the bottom if you aren't careful but I do appreciate the input from all and if I missed what yall were trying to get across ( I'm good at that just ask my wife) let me know stay safe on the water

If its sand or mud no problem but if its weeds or gravel you'll plug up the grate, the jet i told you about is more forgiving from what i've been told. I ran a seine skiff a few years ago, it was aprox 18' with a traktorjet hooked up to a small isuzu diesel and i could pull a 50' seiner anywhere i wanted to easily at a high idle speed and towing the 150 fathom x 90' deep seine was no problem either, the power in that skiff was scary. They are using them in Bristol Bay gillnetters and those guys spend most of the time in shallow water but its a all sand or mud bottom.

Top Bottom