Newbie From Maine

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
Hello All !! Just joined this Boating site and love it. I've got post on some of the "other sites" but hope to call this PORT too. I presently own a 1978 Starcraft Islander 221 that i've done alot of work on. Primarily fishing Jefferys, Boon and Tantas as well as a few HUMPS just north of there. retiring in June to devote most of my time chasin bluefin.

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
How did you know? I've had my eye on one in the Portsmouth NH area for a while now i think its just what the Dr. ordered. I also hear that the DOT.COM is for sale but i think for now thats a pipe dream.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Thats funny because I just bought a boat from Portsmouth and I sold my old boat to a guy in Portsmouth. LOL.

MarkP

Ensign
Damn, you have some faith in that starcraft. Jeffries wow. I maybe thinking wrong but were those i/o? You obviously put a lot of work in to trust her that much.

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
Yes its a V6 4.3 l does about 20 knots @WOT. Yes its on the small side but on 2 foot or less days its gets the job done. JEFFERYS is not that far for me only 18 miles or so. That boat has alot of time on the water and has seen its share on two hour battles.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Starcrafts maybe be considered older technology compared to boats these days. I owned a 18 cc starcraft(aluminum) w a 48hp Johnson. One of the best riding 18CC's I have ever owned and ridden on. Smoothe running and very dry. But it being a 1978 hull and spent its whole life in saltwalter, the aluminum was just too far gone when I sold it in 1996.
Otherwise I loved that boat.

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
I bottom painted it with poor mans epoxy half a gallon rustolium gloss black and half a gallon oil based varnish mixed together. After prepping the bottom I used a sponge roller and applied the epoxy to the bottom. Dries smooth and its hard as nails. A friend of mine who was in the navy suggested it and Im , so far glad I did it. I've removed the canvas top and she now has hard top with enclosure. Recently upgraded from the 80 class stand up gear pictured to penn 130 class bent butt gear. This one has only been in salt three years, still very soild at this time.

Last edited:

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
Thanks OLD MUD , liking this site and hope to hang around a while. Once I get out on my favorite fishing grounds i'll start posting pics.

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
Damn, you have some faith in that starcraft. Jeffries wow. I maybe thinking wrong but were those i/o? You obviously put a lot of work in to trust her that much.

Mark, yes mine is an I/O as were most of the ISLANDERS that Starcraft built. That , at the time , was their top of the line boat. The gauge of. Aluminum was heavier and the rivets were closer spaced and heavier too. Mine was repowered in 88 with the Chevy 4.3 which was a smart choice , you can't kill those, I replaced fuel pump, alternator, re-circulating pump at the engine, both water jackets along with all the hoses, got rid of the 4BBL Rochester and put an Eddlebrock 4 BBL. This was done all last summer this spring it get an HE I distributor and hard top with full inclosure. Yep is on the small side for hunting giants but hell its trustworthy goes good and paid for! Lol If something should happen I've got alot of friends and SEA TOW. Just remembered I also re-wired her two years ago from helm to stern.

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
Just uploaded the pic of my old boat with new wheel house and paint! Oh and a few new goodies at the helm. hey old Mud looking to do some fishing up that way this year when the bite gets going. Theres before and after pics in the pictures under the profile, cant belive it took me four weeks.

Last edited:

Numasahake

Captain
Boat Make
Dodge Stationwagon
Welcome to the forums. I'm one of the few boatbuilders that actually likes stern drives. I've owned a cigarette type boat with a hot 350 Volvo with a 175 hp nitrous set up. My brother has a Northern Bay 25 with a 225 hp 4.3L Volvo Duoprop with fuel injection, goes like hell. And yes, you do sound a mite nuts, hehe.:D

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
Oh NO! Wow thats gotta suck, hope you heal quickly and that the surgery does you well.

Top Bottom