Newbie here looking for recommendations for a DE boat

cycler

Ensign
Actually just started boating/fishing again after a long layover, about 30 yrs. My wife and I have a 23' Parker DVCC, which is a fine boat and does all we ask of her, but, 30 yrs takes a toll on a body and my knees and back are not what they were. After a day on the water, I am pretty well used up. With that in mind, I started noticing a couple of Fortier 26s in our area, and noticed how smoothly they cut through the water, without any drama, so I started seeking info on DE hulls, as I may make a move over the winter, looking for something with more comfort features and a bit more protection. On my short list is another Parker, the 2510 w/a cuddy with a DV hull, but, would welcome any suggestions on a DE style boat, 25-26' or so that may be worth a look see. If it matters, our budget is no greater than 60k. I am not looking for another CC, but, something with a cabin that is stable on the drift, but, gives a smooth ride, speed not being the most important criteria. Thanks in advance, Cycler

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

cycler

Ensign
Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like I have a bit of research to do.

duxbait

Captain
Imo, and I'm sure almost everyone else will agree, if you are looking to purchase and are getting the itch for a downeast, get one! A bigger deep vee will ride better than your current boat but will still not be the same as a downeast. That smooth yet tossed around ride a deep vee offers can get real old.

cycler

Ensign
Imo, and I'm sure almost everyone else will agree, if you are looking to purchase and are getting the itch for a downeast, get one! A bigger deep vee will ride better than your current boat but will still not be the same as a downeast. That smooth yet tossed around ride a deep vee offers can get real old.

Not only does that ride get old, but, I did too. My Parker dvcc has a deadrise of 21, and I can only wonder what an offshore hull, say a 24 deadrise is like when chunking, drifting. The one fact that is starting to make me take notice is the price on some of these (DE) boats. Seems they can hold their value quite well and most of what I like are quite pricey. Well, time will tell. In the meantime I can enjoy this forum.

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32

offshore31

Captain
i from a deep v (32 blackfin, 24 deg deadrise) to a 31 bhm. that blackfin rode great, upsea, down sea. But side too or on the drift, she'd try to toss you like a bucking bronco. i lost a lot of speed moving to the DE (24 down to 16kts), but the ride is so much nicer, and i don't have to chase my water bottles or gear around the cockpit. you'll love the ride and the room, and you can enjoy a cup of coffee on the way to the grounds without getting tossed all over the place.

good luck

cycler

Ensign
i from a deep v (32 blackfin, 24 deg deadrise) to a 31 bhm. that blackfin rode great, upsea, down sea. But side too or on the drift, she'd try to toss you like a bucking bronco. i lost a lot of speed moving to the DE (24 down to 16kts), but the ride is so much nicer, and i don't have to chase my water bottles or gear around the cockpit. you'll love the ride and the room, and you can enjoy a cup of coffee on the way to the grounds without getting tossed all over the place.

good luck

You know it hasn't taken much time to learn that there is no boat that does it all. That said, we are beginning to see/find out what we would be more comfortable with, and slower speeds, stabler ride, and economy are big factors in the plus column. However, the one big negative I am finding, so far, is the cost of a decent used DE boat. They are not cheap, no other way to put it. In the end, if we move from our dvcc, we may wind up in a Grady or Parker walkaround. Cost will be the driving factor in our decision. That is just a fact of life for us. In the meantime, I do appreciate everyone's comments, suggestions, recommendations. Regards, Cycler

cycler

Ensign
I had a 28 Parker when they first came out!
They are a great striper, inshore boat.
They are not an offshore boat IMHO !

Most of the Downeast boats you look at will give a much better ride, for the simple fact that the wheel house is not three feet from the bow ;)

Did you have the Mod V or Deep V hull?

offshore31

Captain
A walk around is real nice. The ride's not the same, but the plus side is the access to the bow, and on most you still get a decent cabin to get out of the weather.

however if you look around, i think you'll be surprised and find the price of the DE is within your budget. The gw or parker will probably be newer, but there's plenty of nice DE's in nice shape in your price range.

good luck in whatever you decide.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
A lot of the value in the downeast is in what you can't see its in the design and the build quality. They may not look as fancy in some cases, but don't let that fool you. you get in nasty water is when they really shine. that's why we travel clear across the country to buy one.

cycler

Ensign

The fact that you had a deep V Parker, and did not find it suitable for offshore makes me think harder about my choices. The 25 w/a cuddy in deep v was definately on our short list. Not an offshore fisherman, but, definately want a boat seaworthy enought to safely fish 30-35 miles out.

cycler

Ensign
A lot of the value in the downeast is in what you can't see its in the design and the build quality. They may not look as fancy in some cases, but don't let that fool you. you get in nasty water is when they really shine. that's why we travel clear across the country to buy one.[/QUOTE

Yesterday, on Barnegat Bay, it got snotty out of the south, so much so that I had to take it slow running back to the marina, with tabs down. Most boats we saw running were doing the same, save for true offshore hulls, but, what really caught my eye were the 2 DE boats we saw cruising. Just pushing water out of the way, not bouncing, just steady and go. Point I am trying to make is your post makes a ton of sense to me. Btw, I am looking to move a couple of Scott Lentz guitars, if interested, PM me. Regards, Cycler]

Top Bottom