Newest addition to DEBF -- 1984 Cuttyhunk 28

sammdawson

Deckhand
After years of admiring I'm finally a proud DE owner. 1984 Harris Cuttyhunk built in Falmouth MA is now in Rhode Island and will be outfit as a picnic cruiser making day/overnight trips to her namesake and also the occasional trip out to the Dumping Ground and other offshore spots out of southern Rhode Island.

A number of projects to tackle, I'll post photos as I get into them. Excited to be part of the forum and contribute content for the group!

The purple bars are part of a quick and dirty prototype for a furniture build I have in mind. 2" rigid foam insulation ripped into 2" strips to rough out the sizing of each piece

Check out that open deck -- my blank canvas!!!

8F9376C4-1D7D-4D33-9D95-B01ABBA3E25A.jpeg

404AFD7B-3E21-4717-B896-03275EEFF124.jpeg

0ECB23F9-6CB5-4ABD-A45F-B1A7D0AC1335.jpeg

02052A89-5870-40FD-A6EF-03A34BFAAC85.jpeg

sammdawson

Deckhand
I found her on boattrader. Set filters and searched nationwide; checked every week for a while until the right one came up. The previous owner had taken her west to fish for lake trout on Lake Pend Oreille. Was a pretty cool sight to see the Downeaster on the lake with the mountains in the background

Seascape6

Deckhand
First Name
Jody
I found her on boattrader. Set filters and searched nationwide; checked every week for a while until the right one came up. The previous owner had taken her west to fish for lake trout on Lake Pend Oreille. Was a pretty cool sight to see the Downeaster on the lake with the mountains in the background
Awesome to see and curious about layout options. I am about to close on a 1982 Harris Cuttyhunk 28, which will also be converted to a picnic. Cockpit will need to accommodate a family of 4. Thinking of extending the pilot house a bit and making a step up to get rid of the low engine box.
What type of engine do you have?

Cheers

sammdawson

Deckhand
Awesome to see and curious about layout options. I am about to close on a 1982 Harris Cuttyhunk 28, which will also be converted to a picnic. Cockpit will need to accommodate a family of 4. Thinking of extending the pilot house a bit and making a step up to get rid of the low engine box.
What type of engine do you have?

Cheers

We've got a Marine Power 5.7L V8 carbeurated engine. It's a marinized Chevy 350 which works well for our use, mostly as a picnic cruiser and day boat for the beaches. I really like the low profile engine cover; it's about a 3" step up and slides on roller blade wheels in a track. Going to add some sound insulation but otherwise not planning any changes to the engine compartment and cover

Here's a drawing for a seating concept I have in mind. Concept is low slung and deep furniture, similar to my sofa. Benches and chairs will be 16.5" tall and 28" deep. Framed in wood with slat tops and bottoms with storage below. Similar to the attached photo

Re extending the top: my plan is to build a custom sunshade that will extend to cover seating at the stern. Concept is to take sun shade fabric from the back of the house to two posts at the stern, and tension down with a strap to the swim platform or eye bolts in the stern

Happy to talk projects and see what you have in mind

1DCD17E2-194F-45DE-A389-1991E610319D.jpeg

6DFCD59A-1CFB-45E4-9417-726F9E15A4AC.jpeg

Seascape6

Deckhand
First Name
Jody
I like the schematics! So you thinking to have open bench seating all around? Are you going to fasten the framing to the deck in any way?

Sunshade wise, your idea sounds like a setup for when at anchor. This is a ranger tug, I like the short bimini off of the pilot house. This can be left up underway. Then off of this extension you can hookup a shade while at anchor that would attach to the stern corners with the poles.

Have you thought about building the seating out of a honeycomb type material and fiberglassing everything into the deck? This is obviously a bigger undertaking but would have added benefits. Just brainstorming... 5914138_20160822125949502_1_XLARGE.jpg

sammdawson

Deckhand
Nice yea that bimini off the ranger could work well. I'll have to see how much tension I can get on the sun shade to see if it'll hold up while underway

Re furniture material: I like the wooden framed furniture akin to patio furniture for the ability to shed water. A previous owner had glassed in some seating and it was a water trap which lead to rot in much of the trim along the gunwhale

My current plan is 2x2" Sapele mahogany sealed with Semco. Minimal maintenance is a goal wrt furniture. I may build the siding for the storage under the bench seats out of 3/8 Azek or starboard. Likely starboard for durability

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
If you can stand on top of the motor box, first, consider getting rid of it by making a step-up.

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
How do you mean? Yes we can stand on it. It's currently a 3" step up from the deck.
Sorry, what I meant was, if you have the headroom, and b/4 you make furniture, consider making the wheelhouse deck flush by making a 3" step from the cockpit deck so you won't be tripping over the motor box forever.
We did this on a Dyer 29 (it took an 8" step to clear the engine" but was well worth the effort to have a flush deck w/ flush engine hatch/s.

Seascape6

Deckhand
First Name
Jody
Sorry, what I meant was, if you have the headroom, and b/4 you make furniture, consider making the wheelhouse deck flush by making a 3" step from the cockpit deck so you won't be tripping over the motor box forever.
We did this on a Dyer 29 (it took an 8" step to clear the engine" but was well worth the effort to have a flush deck w/ flush engine hatch/s.
What was the headroom in cockpit after the 8" step-up? Im planning on a step up to get rid of the engine box. But it will make the headroom short in the Harris 28. I figure you mostly sit in a pilot house anyway so the benefit of no engine box outweighs the loss of headroom for me.

When people raise the pilot houses on downeast boats to accommodate removal of an engine box it often throws off the aesthetic proportions in my opinion. A low pilot house is just more aesthetically appealing to the eye. It's all trade offs and for some standing headroom outweighs all of "costs" required to achieve the height.

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I don't remember what the headroom was but I never hit my head after it was done, I'm 6'2. I agree completely, as a matter of fact, I'd rather hit my head than constantly trip over a low motor box. Also the engine hatches can be large for full access. A win/win/win IMHO

sammdawson

Deckhand
We've got 72" clearance when standing on the engine box. 76" otherwise. So it's a 4" step up

Yea good point, something to consider before I make the furniture ...

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Any extra space under the cover? Every inch counts. VERY pretty boat BTW,
You could make up a couple of platforms out of strapping and plywood and test out the concept as well.
You didn't mention your engine ??
"Measure twice, cut once" for sure.

sammdawson

Deckhand
Not an inch to spare..previous owner got it snugged in pretty tight. It's a carbeurated 5.7 V8. And thank you, I think she's very handsome and will look even sharper when I get the windows and house panels cleaned up!

Saltydoc58

1st Mate
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
Ellis 28 Yanmar 6LPA STP 315HP, Parker 1801 Yamaha F115
Congrats! It appears you have some carpentry skills which will come in handy. BTW after recieving an expensive quote for boat bench seat cushions I contacted Sailrite and watched some videos, and made my own. Not perfect but pretty darn good for $500 for two bench seats and a cooler seat.

Looking forward to your project posts.

BBO

Deckhand
Boat Make
37 Mitchell Cove 28 BHM
Welcome to the club. Congrats

Top Bottom