Next Generation 5.5 Generator sound ?

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
I have a Next Generation UCM2-5,5 Generator Kubota 2 cylinder that has started making a strange sound ? I have replaced the front belt and the rear belt is OK. The starter is NOT staying engaged ? I'm afraid it may be the bearings ? The noise stops after warming up. Any ideas ? You tube link enclosed ,sound starts at 19 second mark.

Generator 006 - YouTube

Thanks
TwoRivers

Generator 004.jpg

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
There is a fuel shut off solenoid on my Phasor, also a Kubota, that needs constant 12 volt to remain in the open position, otherwise a small rod stops the rack from functioning. It sounds alot like that, but it only seemed to happen on start up. My dealer solved the problem and the problem was with the remote keyswitch. He put a diode inline on the solenoid and it has run perfect and not made that noise again. It sounds like your solenoid pin is slipping, hitting the injector pump until it is able to seat and shut it down. Not sure , but a place to begin

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
Did you try running it with the belts off? See if the noise goes away with the belt off. If it does look for the bad bearing in one of the pulleys

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
UPDATE UPDATE
It does not make the sound when the front V belt is removed. I'm narrowing it down to the alternator or the water pump pulley. I believe it is the alternator .
Thanks

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
Making that much noise, you should be able to turn the pulleys by hand and feel the grinding. Sounded like a bad waterpump to me but it's just a guess

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
To say the least, I am confused. There is no sound when I turn the pulleys by hand, and they are not loose! I don't know what it is, maybe the starter, or the generator bearings?
Maybe just run the boat till something starts smoking? I don't have gauges at the helm.
Thanks

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
The noise you're hearing is metal on metal. Does anything have side to side play. It sounded like the bearing in the water pump had play and the impeller was hitting the housing??

Top Bottom