Nicopress

jbg108

Lieutenant
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
Roughpoint
The LI is definitely under crimped and the Nicopress looks over crimped and done twice. I squeeze the Jinkai more and never have them slide or break in the crimp. Obviously Nicopress has a following because the system works but so do the Jinkai crimps once figured out. I haven't had an LI or SG fail in any way for over ten years.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
The LI is definitely under crimped and the Nicopress looks over crimped and done twice. I squeeze the Jinkai more and never have them slide or break in the crimp. Obviously Nicopress has a following because the system works but so do the Jinkai crimps once figured out. I haven't had an LI or SG fail in any way for over ten years.
The other part of it is the one size fits all with the b4 crimps. Spilling the jinki and having them mix together sucks. Or when the paper gets wet and you cant read the size on the box. Its a holy shit moment.

hunttr

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Brian
Boat Make
Dyer 29
Ok I guess I can by that.The nicos I crimped as far as it would go and bottomed out and I really didn't have a problem with them.I guess your saying that I should not be compressing untill the tool bottoms out?When I look at a pic of the orange handled 33v tool it appears that the crimping section (jaws) are closed all the way, same as the smaller 17-b4 tool.So how can I over crimp?Is there an adjustment that I can't see that prevents the crimping section (jaws) from closeing completaly on the larger tool?? The jinkai crimps I put quite a bit of pressure but did not "bottom out" so compression is not as consistent. When the line came out of the jinkai crimp it was "flattened". I like the consistency of the nicos but definitely not trying to change somthing that works for you.Sounds like a single crimp on the nico sleeve is the way to go.

Screenshot_20220621-062812_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew G

Lieutenant
First Name
Andrew
Boat Make
290 Seavee
would be interesting to do the test with the jinkai crimp but burn/melt the end into a larger diameter/ball shape and see where it breaks or if somehow it would still pull through. All very interesting and glad you've done some cool tests here

hunttr

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Brian
Boat Make
Dyer 29
would be interesting to do the test with the jinkai crimp but burn/melt the end into a larger diameter/ball shape and see where it breaks or if somehow it would still pull through. All very interesting and glad you've done some cool tests here
That could help some with slipping(?) but the bigger the melted "ball" is the more pressure it will put on the line rubbing against the ball.

Andrew G

Lieutenant
First Name
Andrew
Boat Make
290 Seavee
That could help some with slipping(?) but the bigger the melted "ball" is the more pressure it will put on the line rubbing against the ball.
Yeah for sure. Might prevent the jinkai from pulling the crimp but might break at that exact spot. No real idea but curious what would happen

gettes

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Osmond Beal 36

Top Bottom