Nidacore filler and cheap labor

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So doing a new engine hatch for my boat, replacing a piece of plywood top that has suffered from water damage.

So I decided to get a couple pieces of nidacore and glassed them up last winter. Now I was just messing around with gelcoating them. I've taken pieces before and brought them to a shiny gloss but havent done it in some years. So I started to do it to this panel for fun, ultimately it is going to be non skid. Again I just wanted to hone my gelcoating skills, wet sanding skill etc. On four months of vacation right and have that time.

I was wondering, I've used just about anything to fill in the edges of the nidacore, probably nothing that was right and figure there are a dozen options. I was wondering what the people who have done large projects use? I have nothing in my house to use anymore and looking to buy something, what are some of the recommendations to use?

Oh yeah, here was my cheap labor? She kept filling up my bucket for water. I usually let her get involved with holding tools but figure I let her get into some wet sanding for a few minutes. Now she hasnt stopped talking about seeing her face in a reflection...

wetsand.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Pick her up at the local day labor spot haha?

Not sure what you mean fill the edges? You have a hole or opening to cut in something that is nida cored?

33youngbrothers

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
33' YB
Pick her up at the local day labor spot haha?

Not sure what you mean fill the edges? You have a hole or opening to cut in something that is nida cored?

I'm thinking he's talking about the sides of the panel? Would you want a square edge or rounded?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
As Jack Henriques used to say to his guys "shit'um up good with mishmash" whenever they needed to fill/fair out anything when he was building my boat. I think the nida core website has a bunch of ways to do edges.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So had this scrap nidacore laying around and needed to hold down the fridge for the upcoming trip. I hate doing things like this but until I install my 12VDC/120 fridge using this one here. See the edge I am talking about... so funny but years later when I see people using BONDO or just gelcote you see failures in edging. That is why I started this post above...

photo (12).jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I would guess at just some thickened epoxy...trowel it in so it forces itself into the first 3/4" or so?

GLA

Commander
a length of velcro will work wonders holding that fridge door closed in a beam sea.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Shawn,I have used a product called Claw Glass.....one Gal cans 30 bucks.....green in color like hull and deck ......it has chopped mat in it like kitty Hair.....it doesn't shrink and crack

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Steve, lol... No, its the picture too... This is a black and decker from walmart for $50 not a 12VDC one. The door does not open... the nidacore is there to keep the fridge from sliding in a beam sea, ask Mr. Hardie about that... Again this is just temp, will have a 12VDC/120 this spring... I have alot of spring work to do, this is just to keep fishing this fall...

Top Bottom