No more lurking. Have keys in hand!

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
After having read what seems like every post and collecting so much great information for all of you passionate, generous folks, I have finally made a deal on my Downeast.

I am the new owner of a (shop worn) Sisu 26. Frankly the boat is a bit of a hot mess, and was disparaged here a bit, likely appropriately. However, after a bit of poking around the boat and a good sea trial I made the deal.

She has been a working boat- in the pound net fishery here in Peconic Bay and looks well worn. The captain was clearly feeling her loss as it looks like he was facing getting off the water.

I will be getting her up to speed in a different line of work as the primary boat for our startup oyster farm operation here. The cockpit space to haul cages on the boat was a driving factor for sure. There is a mast and boom (though I thing I'd like to re-configure the boom itself).

I'll post up some "before" pics for everyone's pleasure tomorrow. I only wished I had taken some earlier before we carted away a few LARGE contractor bags of crap from the boat. (Note to boat sellers- a day cleaning your boat, removing junk would automatically increase sale price.)

I'll be working out the rehab/upgrades in phases starting with required mechanical and safety work of course but can see great potential in the boat. I look forward to keeping a build thread going here, though it will be a slow go as I'll need her to get to work right away.

I'll want to cut nearly every wire and start the wiring fresh. It's an amazing birds nest that has to go. Wait til you see the pics! Trust me when I say that the current situation is awesome.

I am sure I will have only a billion questions for all of you. Thanks in advance.

Thanks again to all on this forum for being an amazing resource.

Ian

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Thanks. jkporter3, your Sisu refit thread was well digested!

I hope I didn't paint a bleak picture- the boat is a mess, but I reduced the chaos by at least 70% just by taking the junk, broken crud away. Had the engine running nice today but weather was snotty so didn't feel like pressing it.

Confession, my other boats have all had sails. The last one was built in '64 and when I found her...in comparison this boat has a yacht finish. Spent several years cruising that boat.

I like simple systems, pedigreed lines and unfortunately have a tight budget to work with. There are some things I might have preferred (diesel...) but I should say that my absolute needs for working this boat include a 5 mile steam from dock to oyster grounds and then a whole bunch of lifting followed by a 5 mile steam back. No offshore trips expected in my log book.

The decks were redone a few years ago, no soft spots or spongy sections, same for trunk/foredeck. I was standing on the pilothouse roof today inspecting the masthead and felt very solid.

I'll get a bit greasier tomorrow than I did today and continue poking around the engine.

She was rode hard and put away wet. I have some budget set aside for immediate upgrades and repairs.

Most important to me is to see if a downeast working boat can fill the bill on the farm. There are guys here working everything from Carolina skiffs to pontoon party boats. If form and function connect for me, I'll look at real upgrade options.

If the sun comes out tomorrow I'll start grabbing some before pictures. Happy to share the funky pics- show ugly early?

I love the rebuild threads on this forum and am inspired by some of your work.

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
here this will get you going....its some pics of my old 26 getting the old volvo tamd41 ripped out and a 4 cylinder cummins going in.....
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.599503796745549.1073741834.490579207638009&type=1

i had a 1980 that was beyond beat when i bought it... had sat for 3 years on an island before i bought it.... i went through it and did what i could and fished the crap out of it then sold it to a friend for his wife to fish....

they were very well put together when they were built.....sisu did a good job with the coring and they are a very big boat for 26' and alot of possibliltys for finishing off down forward....

218185_505020145027_9279_n.jpg

39836_101230843267740_501236_n.jpg

28589_1487596389449_5775769_n.jpg

60103_1448115042393_5489686_n.jpg

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
LOL- I love the toilet seat next to the life ring!

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Cut the red one?

DSCF8757_zps75a2af3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And then there was this interesting harness at the helm:

Both of these pictures were taken after we offloaded three large contractor bags of junk and had already started in on the scrubbing.

After a full day of scrub brushes, a few snips with some wire cutters at some of the really unused runs and we started to look a whole lot better.

Temporary, but way better already:

My amazing wife would like credit from this forum for tackling boat funk on Mother's Day:

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
When things were somewhat under control, and before my crew mutinied, we went for a shakedown run for about an hour and change. Steady cruise. Didn't push anything too hard, but engine ran well. Temp/oil pressure behaving well. Mostly ran between 2000-2800 rpm for the hour long trip. Not sure I trust the GPS (see above wiring example) to will need to recheck for speed another time.

Some stills from a video from the day:

Excuse the garbage/bags:

Scrounged an empty finger pier for some docking drills. Coming off of sailboats this is a dream. I suppose the forewarnings were more for those accustomed to outboards. Responsive helm, reliable prop walk, and enough power to make it do what you want. Nice, a guy could get used to this.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
ianbw...I also own a Sisu 26. Had it shipped to Detroit from Portland 3 years. It's been a project boat and I've done a helluva lot work to it. Mines powered by a 350 cu in Chevy...what do you have for power?
Kurt

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Kurt,

Nice- I was a Michigan boy. Where are you running the boat?

I'd love to see some pics. The forward cabin is completely gutted and I am trying to think through what I want to do there.

Aside from some general maintenance on mechanicals, I want to tackle these electrics right away.

Yep- 350 Crusader. Nice to meet a fellow gasser. Just couldn't get to a diesel Sisu for anywhere near the price. Maybe it's the Detroit blood, but I do have to say that it sounds pretty badass when it starts.

Any insight on your ideal running numbers- rpm/speed/fuel burn, etc?

Ian

Top Bottom