Noise Control Barrier Material

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
Looking for what you guys have had luck with in your engine rooms to knock some noise down in the cabin. What have you guys used that you are happy with and have held up over the years. Is what you are using self-adhesive. Are you using marine grade stuff or is automotive stuff better and cheaper? looking to do the engine hatch, and ceiling throughout most of the engine room. Maybe even the sides if there is even a need. I am told anything that is going to be mounted on a ceiling will need small screws with a washer to hold it to the ceiling. I guess the adhesive is not strong enough to hold up against gravity over time.
Thanks.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Based on info gathered here, I used the sound down insulation. Installed the whole thing with screws and fender washers right over the old layer of the same stuff. Its available in different thicknesses with or without a heavy layer of vinyl sound deadening material in it.

Silver mylar face, foam backing 1/2 - 2" thick and the stuff with the vinyl is HEAVY. 54" x 96" roll is probably 60 lbs or so. Havent run the boat with it yet though so no comment but most people are using the same thing.

They have an ad section below too.

image.jpg

Brainey

Captain
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
43' Atkinson
I used the 2" sound barrier from Soundown for my engine box and associated hatches. Mounted it with the adhesive and pin hanger system they sell. Bottom line is that its pricey but effective. It went in easy and reduced the noise readings at my helm from 95 decibles to 90, which is significant. Trying to get it down around 85 so I have some more work to do but its a start. Putting in some gasket material as well as headliner at some point. Looking forward to recommendations on cost effective headliner.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I used the 2" sound barrier from Soundown for my engine box and associated hatches. Mounted it with the adhesive and pin hanger system they sell. Bottom line is that its pricey but effective. It went in easy and reduced the noise readings at my helm from 95 decibles to 90, which is significant. Trying to get it down around 85 so I have some more work to do but its a start. Putting in some gasket material as well as headliner at some point. Looking forward to recommendations on cost effective headliner.

I believe soundown makes one. Pinhole vinly face, foam backed and about 3/8 thick.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

Brainey

Captain
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
43' Atkinson
I've mostly communicated with Gary Kissel but recently contacted a gentlemen named Sam Mills.

Toolate - I got a quote on the Soundown headliner (1/2"), over $500 for materials for a 10' x 10' wheelhouse ceiling. I'm sure it works but I'm hoping to find a less expensive alternative.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Actually not up yet but tried it with some scissors and think I will go that way. Foam tends to catch occasionally on a blade. Easy enough to cut with a knife though.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Use an electric carving knife, makes it easy peasy.

wdoherty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31 JC
I put in sound down in 1996 on engine box for my detroit in a 31 JC. It's still there, I did replace some of the hanging pins 2 years ago, setting them in quick set Marine Tex. The pins and washers were bought out of a local marine store.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom