Noreast Boats

db4570

Lieutenant
Have any of you heard of Noreast boats?

I first came on this forum last fall, and have gradually become downeast-boat obsessed.

I want to find something that would ride a chop better than our current mass-market bowrider, that might also be a bit more utilitarian. I have learned a ton here. I was originally thinking about a knock-around small boat, but am now thinking something in a 20-22' range.

This eventually brought me to my holy grail of boats, the General Marine 20. I was in Massachusetts (7 hours from home) looking at another boat that it turned out I didn't like, and saw that I was only another couple hours from General Marine in Maine. Having spoken with Stacy there previously, I decided to pop up there to see what he had.

I immediately fell under Stacy's spell, in a good way, which was actually quite rewarding. He is a truly fascinating character, and a brilliant boat designer. I want to have him build me a boat just so I can spend more time hanging out with him. But we finally got down to talking real numbers, and it was a wakeup call to how expensive these boats are for a regular guy like me. I sincerely believe they are worth every penny. But... wow, it is hard to justify, especially because I am a fairly casual boater.

While talking boats with Stacy, I learned about a guy that used to work for him that now builds his own boats. He also builds Maritime boats. His other boat I learned about is the Noreast 18. This boat is apparently essentially a scaled down General Marine 20. It appears to have the same general characteristics as an Eastern/Seaway 18/19, but with a more advanced hull design. Even though I was thinking about something a bit bigger, I am going to check out these boats on my next boat-finding trip to Maine in the next month.

I'd like to see how big they are in the real world, because sometimes these boats surprise you. For instance, the General Marine 22 is really enormous when I'm right next to it. So maybe this 18 could work.

Has anyone here heard of these Noreast boats? They seem to have all the attributes of the best kind of boats discussed here. I'm surprised I have never seen them mentioned.

David

Last edited:

db4570

Lieutenant
Yes, I talked to the owner there a week or so ago, and am hoping to get back up there soon to check out this boat. He's a really nice guy, and another hull design expert.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
They look like a nice local center console option. Did you get any rough hull pricing?

PollyWanna

Lieutenant
You can learn a lot in an hour spent with Stacey. It sounds like you want new, but I might still suggest staying in touch with him and keeping on the alert for a 22. He brokers his own boats a bunch and there have been a couple 22’s that have gone up that were next to new. You might appreciate that extra couple feet shortly down the road. As mentioned before, they all seem big until you get out there in a breeze!

db4570

Lieutenant
An hour with Stacy? My kid and I pulled into General Marine's parking lot at 2:30 pm after telling him we were coming. When we finally got in the car to leave, long after everyone else had left for the weekend, we looked at the time and it was 7:30 pm. Try 5 hours! Boat hull design was just part of the fascinating conversation we had. The guy is one of the most fascinating, zany, and personable geniuses I have ever met. My teenage son was spellbound by him (and his colorful language).

I actually would prefer to find a used boat. Our current boat we bought new, and I was a bit obsessed about keeping it looking new, and still am. This has made me a bit over-careful when using it. So something with a couple of minor scuffs and scrapes is almost preferable. I'd like something more like a respectable-looking work boat. I would also like to save substantial money on a used one.

Stacy just had a used 22 that I was going to go check out but he sold it before I had the chance. Although I really think the 22 is really a bit to big for me. It's a lot to trailer and launch. I don't want to have to start shopping for a new tow vehicle, too.

The GM 20 really sounds like the sweet spot for us. The hull rides better than the 22, and it's big for a 20 footer. Unfortunately he hardly builds any of them, and they never turn up for sale used.

So I want to check out the Noreast 18 and see if it might work. I'm afraid it's going to be just a little too small, but then again, it might be just right.

David

sp543

Lieutenant Commander
The Noreast 186 caught my eye last summer, almost a cross between an Albury and a Seacraft.

A bare hull came out to just under $30k on a trailer. Rigged with a 140 Suzuki was $42k.

Penzance Point

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Mike
"We have one hull ready,no engine.Still building in N.H. but slow*,Abbie Chislett . Sent to me a little back.

Top Bottom