north of Maine

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Does Canada have anything like the Jones Act in their laws. I've never seen a down Easter while on P.E.I. for that matter. I've always wondered if that's because of some law they have like the Jones Act or they just don't like d.e. boats. I'm sure cost factors but you can find some bare bones d.e. work boats at a reasonable price. Any thoughts????

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
Canadian tax law is different, they try to keep there boatbuilding industry going and create jobs (novel idea I know....instead of giving someone a check to stay home and milk the system). when you buy a new boat you can write the full purchase price off 100% every year for three years. so at a 55% tax rate its either spend it or lose it... also boats are designed for specific areas and weather conditions...there is a much different type of sea there than here in maine...and the way there lobster openers go you make 90% of your money in the first couple weeks of the season so you have to have a boat that is capable of packing a massive amount of weight to maximize the available season, and be able to put in retarded weather safely and effectively. as much as maine boats ride through a sea well, doing a multi day trip like they are they cant hold enough, and aren't high enough out of the water to keep windows in them. there principal is that you make get the crap kicked out of you but you just pack so much buoyancy in that they stay up on top and never go under a wave or through it... as opposed to maine boat which is much more designed to go through waves and cut down a chop, not operate in a 20 foot sea for days on end....

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Does Canada have anything like the Jones Act in their laws. I've never seen a down Easter while on P.E.I. for that matter. I've always wondered if that's because of some law they have like the Jones Act or they just don't like d.e. boats. I'm sure cost factors but you can find some bare bones d.e. work boats at a reasonable price. Any thoughts????
The taxes imposed on Canadians when they buy a non-Canadian boat is pretty steep, there are usually federal, regional and local taxes that add up to quite a surcharge to buy American and then bring it to Canada.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
When I was up in the Magdalen Islands I was not impressed with the 20-40 knot winds ALL THE TIME. But I really wish I had my boat to go play around in the big rollers out there, no doubt it would get old though. After a few months or so. Could have caught some serious air.

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Risky business, I know they use the Northumberland boats in the straight but do they use them on the east side of p.e.I. and off nova Scotia coast on open ocean?

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
I don't think in the winter fisheries, probably in the summer and in the bay of fundy. Those are primarily day boats. There limited on capacity. I think opening day this year one boat had 48,000 POunds the first day....that's where they need the bigger boats to pack the paycheck on...

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I don't think in the winter fisheries, probably in the summer and in the bay of fundy. Those are primarily day boats. There limited on capacity. I think opening day this year one boat had 48,000 POunds the first day....that's where they need the bigger boats to pack the paycheck on...

holy s..., that's a lot of meat

sandytows

Lieutenant
Canadian boats are built with a length to beam ratio of close to 2:1. I think it has to do with fishing regs.
Downeast US boats are closer to 3:1 so not competitive.

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
locally-made 22' wooden boat with inboard engine

I think you can find plenty of d.e. boats in New Brunswick, P.E.I. and Nova Scotia. Go to kijiji (Canada's craigslist) for those provinces and search under boats and marine equipment. There are far fewer in Newfoundland where the traditional fishing boat around 25' was the trap-skiff and was used for the in-shore fishery. Larger boats like originally the schooner and now the longliner were used on the Grand Banks from Newfoundland and elsewhere.

ChipTam

Latest Posts

Top Bottom