Northern Bay 26 - Facebook

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by CEShawn, Feb 5, 2019.

1. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Did I see Northern Bay created a 26 now? Looks like they just did a hull oversea's, Im sure the mold was done there like I think on some others (could be wrong) and start selling them in March...

2. south shore

south shore Senior Member

Millwright/Mechanic/Retired
    Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    DSCN1711.JPG IMAG0901.jpg DSCN1709.JPG My 2010 Northern Bay 25' 6"
    View attachment 67422

My 2010 25 NB is closer to 25'6" x 9'4"midship 8'6' is at the trasom.
    Its a big 25 foot boat, looks huge with my friends 24 grady tied next to it. I have only run it for one season and so far it's been a great boat. I believe its the same hull as mine remarketed and there are a couple of different builds on the same hull. On there web site it's listed by NB as 7.80 meters with equals 25.6 feet x 2.64 meters or 8'6" wide.
    I think that beam specs might just be to make it seem trailer legal.

[​IMG] New Northern Bay 26

[​IMG]
    Tital Creek Boat Works specs 25' x 9'3"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    david and CEShawn like this.
  3. south shore

Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    Don't know if The hull mold is just in the Netherlands or if John H. has a mold and is laying them up here in the states.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  4. Bill_N

Bill_N Captain

Boat Make:
    31' JC Rowdy Girl
    I always thought it would be cool to see a new NB 32 model. Kind of a scaled down 36 with 11' 6" beam. But there doesn't seem to be much demand for new 31-34' models. I guess there's more $$$ in bigger hulls.

5. bluegrass

bluegrass Member

I called and spoke with the owner at Norhern Bay about a 26’ kit and he said the mold was coming to the states over the summer. I asked for prices and details once the mold was here but never got another call back.

6. Buzzard11

Buzzard11 Member

I have talked with the owner of the mold too. From what he said the NB25 was stretched to 26 I think in the Netherlands. Mold is supposed to be back in Maine this Month, February, or next. I was told he already has one sold and will start production once the mold arrives.

South shore, do you have any performance data with the 300 on that boat, slow troll, cruising speed, high end, fuel burn? Also how large is your fuel tank. Thanks

bluegrass likes this.
  7. Second Wind

Second Wind New Member

South Shore, great looking boat. I noted your outboard and I am curious how she handles in following sea and to that end, where does your skeg end measured from the bottom of the transom and how deep is it please?

I have a 22’ Webber’s Cove/ Spencer Lincoln design with a 150 Suzuki - the skeg/keel oat maximum depth is only 8” and it ends (tapers out) 5’ from the transom. It a wonderful boat until you get caught in a following sea and then it gets really squirrelly and in the big ones downright scary. We are thinking the fix is to extend the skeg to say within a foot of the transom and make it deeper, say 10” at the end of it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

8. Buzzard11

Buzzard11 Member

I am not a navel architect, but i think part of the problem is that in a following sea the skew is what causes it to act squirrely. Making it longer may make it worse.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. south shore

Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    The 300 was the original owners choice if I had the option to repower I would go with on of the new 4 cylinder 200hp.
    The boat is at its best cruising 18 - 22 knots running between 3000-3600 rpm burning 7 - 9 GPH. It runs like its on rails at that speed. it will run into the mid 30kt range depending on conditions better be dead flat and keep the bow up if you try to do it in a chop you will definitely pucker up a little if the bow bites. I am happy with 17 to 20 knots all day long and in sloppy conditions you can slow down to 12 knots and still move through most sea conditions comfortably. The engine bracket is set high on my boat the engine is a long shaft 30" and is set up on the 4th hole if the bracket was about 1 1/2 lower I think I could use a 25' shaft, the plus this way is the trim motor and engine mounts don't sit below the water when tied on it's lines at the dock everything is as clean as it was when new.
    Boat has 100 gal. fuel tank and the slow speed trolling with the new outboards is great down to 3 knts is easy
    I had a short amature video of the boat running in the bay on a nice snotty day testing new prop was blowing south west 25 to30, I would not head for the inlet but will leave the dock in this boat in conditions that I would not have even gotten out of my car with some of my older boats and those where the likes of a Steiger a Parker and a 25' deep v twin engine CC . One thing I will say is I always back in to my slip and in 45+ years of boating this boats close quarter dock manners and handling in reverse are amazing may be the best I have ever piloted 2nd closest was the twin engine CC but the NB is ++better .
    It may be better to watch the video on a cell phone or ipad most of the time I had the phone held sideways so on the computer its sideways

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  10. south shore

Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    The boat handles great in a following sea as long as you watch your speed if you think your going to push thru the back of the ways and beat the sea in then you my be hard on the helm, time yourself with the sea and let the boat do its job and all is fine. I believe having the prop so far back and being able to trim the hull up a little all add to better control in those type of seas. That's one advantage to the outboard power. Keel ends about 52" from the end of the transom and is about 5" deep. The prop is 56"from the transom which gives it almost 9 feet from the end of the keel to the prop. I have a 3' piece of coosa in the garage and have been thinking about glassing it on and shaping it back on a taper to see if anything changes 0209191230.jpg 0209191230b.jpg 0209191231b.jpg 0209191232.jpg 0209191233.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    david and tunaorlater like this.
  11. Buzzard11

Buzzard11 Member

How far offshore have you gone and in what type of seas? Also do you have an idea of the range with your 100 gallon tank?

12. south shore

Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    Buzz
    I have only run the boat this past season and very happy with the boat. fuel consumption at 17 to 22 knts is 7-9 GPH roughly 2.4 MPG
    so 18-19 knts at 8 GPH on 100 gallon tank with 3/4 safety margin = 180 miles with reserve of 25 gal = 60 miles
    running off shore I have only been south of the inlet about 10 miles but I have made 20 mile runs east and west of the inlet within 5 miles of the beachfront. I have been caught in some wind and weather situations and the boat has preformed well, you may be running down to 12 to 14 knts but that's what I like about the boat. like I said it's only the first season so it's not the worst seas I have been in as with my previous boats but I feel the hull will handle those situations when it has to. The only thing that it needs when things get nasty and there on the to do list is spray rails to keep the some water off windshield. So far this boat has exceeded my expectations but you still need to remember its only a 25 ft. boat its not a 31ft West Bay ( that was a gorgeous boat)

13. Cookie

Cookie Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay
    Heres my NB25

Attached Files:

jdickau484 likes this.
  14. bluegrass

bluegrass Member

Great looking boat. Love the set up. Wish there were more around used.

15. Buzzard11

Buzzard11 Member

Cookie, what do you have for power and out drive? What size tank do you have and what type of range? Also how far offshore do you run with her? Thank you

16. Cookie

Cookie Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay
    246 Steyr w/bravo3x Have 2 4o gal tanks sips the fuel, Ive ran down to the sword/BB out of Chatham 3o miles Not a canyons boat, not sure how far you would want to take it, but have fished off the backside in some snot and felt comfortable, cruise an easy 18-22 knots can probably get 30 on flat day, I don't take it there. When its rough slow down to normal downeast speed 14 knots and push on through

17. mattreed

mattreed Member

South Shore,
    Could you tell me about the floating bait pen you have in the picture beside your boat?
    Thanks

18. fordy

fordy Senior Member

Looks like your basic pool noodle - zip tie chicken wire bonanza

19. south shore

Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    Here it is Matt & fordy nailed it
    Its been a while since I put it together but its just 12 1 inch pvc t fittings, 12 foot lenth of 1 inch pvc pipe, 3/4 inch inground sprinkler line, some plastic barrier fencing, 2 pool noodles, bag of tie wraps and a 12 pack of your favorite beverage
    if you do a google search you can find some utube videos
    If you cant find anything leave a response or message and I'll make a detailed drawing and post it.

20. fordy

fordy Senior Member

I saw it too. Looked like great proportions. Hoping for a new shore boat in the future

Attached Files:

bluegrass likes this.