Northern Bay

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
As a Newbie here, I am extremely pleased to find this site with all you DE boat guys. I think I have the only one in Texas and no one here can answer my questions and laugh or cry at the answers.
I am hoping to splash the boat by Easter for the first time. It's not completely finished but it will run and I have lost all patience in waiting any longer.
This last week completed the cockpit material. I had teak but decided against it for maint. reasons. This stuff is called 'SafeFloor' it is a mixture of ground up tires (my choice of color) and epoxy. Easy to clean, it really cuts sound as well

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Tex, that looks good, how did it go down? spray, roller?

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
Hey Blitz - good to hear from you again.
It gets mixed in a bucket to the consistancy of thin peanut butter and troweled on - you choose thickness. When it hardens use a belt sander to flatten and smooth the rubber. It's really simple, like gluing down tile or laminate. Over 200 sqft in one day. I also had the galley and v-berth done. It has a 'lifetime' guarantee (if that means anything) It's used here on big aluminum flatbottom boats working in the oilfield so you don't slip down. I like the way it looks, comes in any color and soft on your feet
I will post close up pics tomorrow

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Deck looks neat, but not a DIY deal, is it? Sounds like the people who sell it do the installation according to their website. It looks like an especially good product for metal boats.

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
I live about 20 minutes from the guy who holds the patents and is a friend. I have no idea about any franchises or diy issues. You guys are catching me off guard with the questions but I will call him and find out. To me, it is a local thing

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Hey Tex, have you ever seen this boat because your boat's profile looks similar to this one here in RI.

114_1455.jpg

114_1449.jpg

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
I didn't realize it was after 5 here so I will call tomorrow about the safefloor
Blitzen
Nope .... I've never seen that one before. The closest one I ever found to what I originally planned is this pic. I don't remember where I found the picture - a boat called 'Moonstruck' As you know, it gets reall hot here and a full cabin was not an option for me - AC or not

Mstruck-9.jpg

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I secong that Googinhater. I was actually trying to locate something like this.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
I am very interested in this deck coating. I am curious about weather or not it would hold up on the deck of a commercial fishing boat. Aside from that. Welcome aboard. You will come to find that there is a wealth of information here as well as a ton of guys who are willing to help others out all in the name of owning and operating the finest vessels that ever sailed the seven seas. Thats a very nice rig you have. It looks like you have done a great job finishing her.

I have two questions for you. What do you have for power in her??? and could you please get me some more feedback about that deck coating.

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
Jwalka51
First, The first time I saw this stuff was on a commercial flounder boat here in Galveston. The boat is used at night and 'gigs' flatfish under lights. The deck is ALWAYS slimy. This material feels good underfoot and you will not bust your butt! Not to mention the sound deadening. The Company here gives a "Lifetime" guarantee. I suggest you check out http://www.safe-floor.com/ for more info and pictures. You certainly can call them and I will as well. It's a small company and helpful guys. I'm sorry I don't know about buying the pieces seperately.

My NB is cummins powered 450hp 8.3 mechanical engine ZF280 tranny 2/1 gear. It will start for the first time next week (hopefully)
I posted quite a bit of the build for a while on another site and got beat-up to the point I quit. "Can't put that engine in the boat, you have too much fuel on board, the head is taking too much room and wasting space" etc, etc, etc. At any rate, before I even started, I hired a guy from Maine to draw the plans per my specs (he complained also) because I needed help with the placement of the engine and fuel tanks (center of gravity) The rest was what I wanted simply because it's what I wanted. All composite topside(nida-core, coosa and urethane foam) except for the forward and aft engine bulkheads. 3" wideflange structural fiberglass floor members. In other words, nothing to rot. These boats are not popular here - one engine etc. I am either gonna be a hero or goat with my friends but with over 500 gal of fuel I will be able to go where I want- when I want!
Sorry, sounds like I'm whining -
the pic below is during the engine installation a few months ago

DSC05246.jpg

Boat Make
middleton
Newbie, I'm the newbie here, but wanted to chime in on the flooring issue. No dog in the fight whatsoever, but applied a product n the deck of a duffy years ago. The product was also crushed rubber but was in a moisture cured urethane and not epoxy. The company was in colorado. Cote-l Distribution. but cannot remember the product name. The reason I mention it was that someone had concerns about a proprietary outfit having to apply the other product. This one can be applied by owner and sounds similar.
Frank

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
How did it hold up for you??? I also contacted a company with a similar product, granulated rubber with a one part urathane binder. They told me that they would not reccomend it for the deck of a lobster boat.

But this safe floor stuff sounds different because it uses an epoxy resin as the binder. I am seriosly interested in it. But it needs to be very resilient. Dont want to spend the money and then have it go to waste.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
That is a beautiful job there with the install I think that she will go like a raped ape with that much power. Dont worry about the weight. These boats are designed to handle weight. All the Nay sayers will be prover wrong once you get her in the water. especially when its blowing 35 knots and you cruise past them at 16 knots with no problem.

Top Bottom