Norton Project

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by CapeCodNorton, Oct 13, 2015.

1. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Senior Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    I purchased a 1974 Norton last month as a project. It was seaworthy so I finished out my rec lobster season and had several fun days on the boat with my wife and three boys as well as some other guests. It is powered by a 2005 Honda 90 and I get 25-27 knots WOT. It also has a 10" Hydroslave hauler.

I started tearing it down the other day and I'm now 7 hours into it. here are a few shots of my progress thus far. I also did two drawings of my ideas of what I want the boat to be. I took a ton of measurements off the boat and drew these up as 1mm = 1inch so everything is proportional according to my measurements, I really like both honestly but I am leaning toward the open design. I will likely replace the gunwales, which were balsa sandwich construction and totally rotted out, with coosa and the cabin will be divinycell for weight savings.

Attached Files:

Bill likes this.
  2. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Good luck on the project. I like the closed design good sun and water protection. IMHO

3. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I second the enclosed version, providing it's feasible. What is the overall length? Is it an 18? That would be small for adding the top. Good luck with it and be sure to keep us updated on progress.

4. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    The boat is 18'6 with 6'8 beam. I've been wavering between both designs for a while. I would love the top ultimately but don't want it to look goofy. I tried to keep the lines of the cabin elongated and the windshield and top narrow so they don't draw the eye upward and give that chunky feeling. The plan is to build a mockup out of some strapping and get a better idea of overall looks.

5. South Shore Boatworks

South Shore Boatworks Captain

pilothouse

I think that it will look good with the pilothouse. I would put more rake in the windshield and front of the trunk cabin. Something like 15-20 degrees. You will know when it looks right. We are working in Harwich 2-3 days a week on a 50' Brownell sportfisher. I would be happy to stop by for a look

winterking likes this.
  6. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    That would be great, I'd love to bounce some ideas off you, I'll PM you my address

7. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Think you mean 1 cm = 1"? Nitpicking I know..

I had a 21 seaway with a similar layout and it was ok (soft top not hard) but I cant see it any smaller. Post a pic when you mock it up- love this idea.

8. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    1 mm on my paper is the equivalent of 1 inch of boat length/height. That was the easiest best way for me to scale it down and get an idea of proportions. My head room is limited to 5'10 on the sides and I'll add 2-3 inches of crown. I'm 5-9 so I'll be cutting it close for sure. I'm not making the final decision until the mock up is build, I'm still in demolition mode. Between hauler, fuel tank, cuddy cabin, gunwales and deck and stringers I've removed 1200 lbs from the hull. The deck/stringers were 3/4 ply and saturated with water. I'm hoping to keep it around 600 or 700 lbs when I add everything back using the composites and converting the hauler to an electric motor.

Attached Files:

9. Jangles

Jangles Senior Member

I would consider a 2-3" pitch on the cabin top, in that 60"(?) length from aft to forward. I think the pitch would disappear to the eye, would keep the leading edge of the cabin at bow level, the windows the same size, gain a couple inches of headroom, and as an added bonus shed rain water. That would make your dash 42-43" high, same as bar-top in kitchens, which I don't think is too high. You've got the steering will on top of 40" right now, that I think is too tall, and should consider a vertical mount wheel.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  10. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    Transom

Got to work on the transom finally today. It took a little while to get through all the layers. It was made up of 5 layers of end grain balsa all glassed in between and a large piece of mahogany to fill the cutout for the outboard. The original transom is designed for a 20" shaft so I'm assuming this was done when the 90 hp motor was put on. It was about half rotted and the rest was very wet. I left the original outer skin on because it is curved and i wanted to keep that feature.

My next step is to sand everything and get down to glass. the paint on the inner hull is very tough and hardly seems phased by 60 grit on my random orbital. Thinking Ill try stripper next.

Jangles, I hear you with the height concern of the wheel. I plan on mounting it a 20-30 degree angle, this should lower it a few inches. I really want to have the helm and hauler inline so I can move the door for the berth to the center. Thats the design idea right now, but I'm staying really fluid with all of this so whatever truly works Ill go with.

Any suggestions on stripper to use? Also, I'm thinking of keeping the original 20" transom which would put my antiventilation plate about 3" below the hull. I know displacement hulls can handle lower mountings and benefit with increased manueverabilty, is this too low for my hull design if I'm not overly concerned about drag?

Attached Files:

11. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    Project updates

After getting the boat down to just the original hull I wrapped her up for the winter and waited for the weather to turn again in the spring. I was able get back to her at the end of march and have been plugging away steadily in an effort to get it launched mid July. My self imposed deadline was the 16th and I'm happy to say I nearly made that deadline. It looks like Ill be in by the end of this week. The boat is not totally complete but I tried to focus on the things I needed to make her underway.

Here are photo updates, I need to finish framing the windows and connect the electronics this week.

Attached Files:

12. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    Pics

More pictures

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  13. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    Pics

More Pictures

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  14. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    Pics

more pictures

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    That looks great! Nice job! What did you paint it with?

16. crabz

crabz Senior Member

commercial fisherman
    Boat Make:
    All American
    Excellent work!

17. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    Super transformation! I love the built in transom seating/storage. Excellent use of space. Are you going with a marine canvas sun visor?

18. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    Thanks, I used Jametowns Wetedge flag blue and white

19. CapeCodNorton

Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    Thank you, I wasn't planning on it, Ill still be fishing my traps with it so I wanted to keep the gunwales clear. The next part of the project is going to be the v-berth down below so my kids will have a shaded retreat if need be.

20. South Shore Boatworks

South Shore Boatworks Captain

Norton

It is hard to believe that your Norton is the same boat that we saw last fall. The proportions of the windshield and trunk cabin are perfect. You did a great job.