Not a DE but pretty slick!

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Aluminum and water just too much work to maintain. I hope a penny never fails out of your pocket and lands on the inside of the hull where you cannot see. Pretty boat & great for gov't use when they are scrapped in 5 yrs. F/G is forever.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Stupid question, does aluminum get bottom painted? Or was this trailer-ed?

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Aluminum can indeed get bottom painted. Your average cuprous oxide bottom paint will eat the aluminium. Barrier coat, then paint with a compatible product. Pettit vivid over barrier coat would be ideal.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
These boats seem to be popular in Alaska. Why?

CaptLuke

Rear Admiral
Hey CCTuna have you heard anything about that 32 BHM I emailed the Craigslist add 5 times with no reply. The add is still up though hasn't been updated in a while. If you see that professor tell him I'm interested

ahiboatworks

Lieutenant
@captlarry

You tend to reply to a lot of post w/ professional-sounding advice. Your dismissal of alluminum construction makes me question your validity, to say the least. Your comment of "5 year service life" is also rediculous.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Kodiakan

Commander
@captlarry

You tend to reply to a lot of post w/ professional-sounding advice. Your dismissal of alluminum construction makes me question your validity, to say the least. Your comment of "5 year service life" is also rediculous.

Yea he missed on this one but he's dead on maybe 98?% of the time. Especially with power train combinations. I have tremendous respect for his advice. But yea, on this one he missed. we have aluminum boats in our harbor that have decades of use on them. there not for me but lots of guys swear by them........

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Lots of tin cans in this part of the world both commercial and recreational. I don't care for them either they just don't have a pleasing shape to my eye. One think i can say about them is that when your delivering fish tied up to a tender and its blowing out you don't have to worry about tearing the cleats out of them !! The tender guys used to laugh at how many cleats they ripped out of glass boats when it was blowing !!

The rec guys go ga ga over these i sure as hell wouldn't pay 200-250,000 for one of em'.
gc.jpg

gc2.jpg

gc.jpg

gc2.jpg

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Larry must like aluminum boats about as much as I like a Yanmar, LOL. LIke fiberglass, I'm sure aluminum boats are not all created equal. This one appears to be first class.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
That boat has Suzuki outboards, if I'm not mistaken Suzuki has decided to get out of the outboard engine business. Not sure how that will effect parts availability and support but it's got to have some negative impact.

Top Bottom