novi boats

GLA

Commander
have always been fond of this style hull. had a 21 ft x 9'-6" novi once and really liked the ride . with 55 hp on the back (outboard) she would do 12 knts and with 2 tons of weight on deck it would ride like a tank. very comfortable and easy on fuel. the problem with that hull (cape islander style) was if you pushed it up and ran it flat out the boat would pop out of the water and pound real bad on the flat aft section of the hull. the bow needed to be in the water to cut thru the seas. and it did that very well. it really needed an inboard a keel and a bunch of fuel in it to let it sit down in the water
so I sold that novi and bought a go fast center console and after a few yrs grew tired of that. too fast and I took too much of a beating.

so now I have been thinking about getting a new rig for inshore and possibly running offshore on some days.

does anyone here have any exp with a larger size novi style hull. most I see go 10 knts, but are very underpowered. if you bump them up in HP will a 32x12, or 34 x 14 novi run at some speeds? and if you have spent some time on them. are they as good of sea boats as stated? say in a beam sea.or quartering.
one of my old friends had a 45 x 18 wedgeport and he loved the boat. I never did get to ask him if it ran faster than the 10 knts he usually ran it at. and if it had more hp would it run 16 knts or better comfortably

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I'm sure your will get many great answers to your question but I'll get it started by saying: As I understand it, one of the virtues of the Novi hull is their ability to make modrate speed with very little HP. This due to the exagerated rocker in the hull and flat wide sections aft. With this rocker the transom is very lightly immersed (sometimes not at all) so is not dragging at lower speeds like a typical DE. Then when power is increased, the hull can rock back on it's transom and flat aft sections and plane out easily. Both great features and advantages.

However, with the aft sections so lightly immersed, the Novi must also have a deep keel aft and a cutaway forefoot to keep it from digging in and trying to slew around in a following seaway. Also it is a given that rocker in a hull causes suction which cancels some of the lift when planing.

I think if you really want to cruise at 16K on 32 or 34', this may not be the way for you to go.

GLA

Commander
I will say that the 21 ft I used to own did squat a bit in the transom when running, but that was a true cape islander with no keel or any type of built down section in the hull. I was hoping that a full keel and built down hull would act like a typ downeast at cruise.
some novi styles I see do seem to be a displacement type hull , while others
seem more of a semi displacement

clammer64

Lieutenant Commander
I have also been looking into the novi's-particularly in the 36-40' range as you get a lot of boat for the money. As I understand there are mainly 2 styles-the Cape Island and the Northumberland- The Northumberland seems to be more of a planing and narrower hull for the tight steep chop and they achieve some decent speeds. The Cape Island is much slower as most only seem to have enough horsepower to push at their hull speed. This style really appeals to me as is seems they might be better suited for longer trips offshore(seaworthiness,comfortability). Ideally, a 10-12kt cruise would be great but most guys I talked with say 8-9 kts is average for fuel consumption as there isn't much speed to be gained by adding a lot of h.p. Any information is greatly appreciated about these hulls-the good and the bad-I have been searching for the "right one" for months now. Pretty sure you cant charter on a Canadian built hull either unless there are a few "loopholes" :rolleyes:

monktails

Lieutenant
Hull speed is every thing with novi's. Mine is 45x17.5 if i run the engine (jd 375) at recommended rpm 70% load I get 10.5kts. That would be burning close to 12 gallons an hour. As a business keeping expenses low with fluctuation fish prices I run the boat around 8.5kts 50%load and have a fuel burn closer to 5-6 gallons an hour. If i were to repower and reprop the boat I would be able to get a speed over ground closer to 12kts at a cost of larger hp engine with a higher fuel burn were for a commercial fishing operation would not make much sense. Another guy on my dock runs the same engine in a novi that is 35x15 and he is able to get 18kts 100%load burning 21 an hour. So dont buy one if you want any sort of hull speed.

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
www.EastCoastWreckDiving.com
Boat Make
Magna
I've got a 45 Magna. (Northumberland Style) She rides great and sits fantastic in beam seas. Being a dive boat the majority of our day is spent at anchor, so that was a big concern of mine.
I've got a single Cat C12 (700hp) and she'll cruise at 16kts unloaded @ about 1800rpms and she'll top out a hair under 20kts. Fully loaded we usually run her at 11-12 kts at 15 GPH at about 1700rpms.
She's a fantastic hull and i'd get one again.

However, if you plan on selling fish commercially, you'll have issues with the foreign built hull (Jones Act) and getting a coastwise endoresement on your C.O.D. There are loopholes around it that people use (think Pinwheel on Wicked Tuna). There is also a MARAD waiver that lets you run as a charter boat with up to 12 passengers if you're inspected (6 if you're not). I've done the latter so if you have any questions about it let me know.

Here's a photo of her from our site's landing page...
2263d4_8db65bce30dd15a7a7ad0b341719a8ec.jpg_srz_980_660_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Hope that helps some.

-Capt Tom McCarthy

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Its not a big deal if you want to commercial fish a Canadian built boat there is a lot of guys doing it and the Jones act is going for charter boats to its any vessels that needs to be federal permitted

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
www.EastCoastWreckDiving.com
Boat Make
Magna
Its not a big deal if you want to commercial fish a Canadian built boat there is a lot of guys doing it and the Jones act is going for charter boats to its any vessels that needs to be federal permitted

Yea, the commercial fishing Canadian boat guys are only state registered. The issue comes up when you get into larger vessels (around >25') that legally must be federally registered. That's where the grey area comes in. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

GLA

Commander
Hull speed is every thing with novi's. Mine is 45x17.5 if i run the engine (jd 375) at recommended rpm 70% load I get 10.5kts. That would be burning close to 12 gallons an hour. As a business keeping expenses low with fluctuation fish prices I run the boat around 8.5kts 50%load and have a fuel burn closer to 5-6 gallons an hour. If i were to repower and reprop the boat I would be able to get a speed over ground closer to 12kts at a cost of larger hp engine with a higher fuel burn were for a commercial fishing operation would not make much sense. Another guy on my dock runs the same engine in a novi that is 35x15 and he is able to get 18kts 100%load burning 21 an hour. So dont buy one if you want any sort of hull speed.

that is still some pretty good efficiency running a boat as big as yours

GLA

Commander

understood, I don't charter or commercially fish, just a recreational guy.
this may be the wave of the future for me. costs to run offshore just for fun are expensive. cut back on a lot of fuel burn and still have a stable platform to fish off of may be the way for me to go.

ReaganW79

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35 Mitchell Cove
I have a 25' Novi outboard. Just put a 250 Suzuki on last summer. It is fast and easy on fuel. Might possibly sell it this fall if anyone is interested.

sidejob

Lieutenant
Boat Make
novi
For what it's worth I own a 30 novi for about 6 months now I never owned a downeast boat before so I too did not know what to expect especially coming out of a 38 topaz so i can tell u speed is a big change but!!! That's it yes the novi hull pushes a lot of water To be continued with more info and pic

Top Bottom