nse 12 vrs garmin 6212

sidejob

Lieutenant
Boat Make
novi
ok i think i narrowed it down to these two machines any one have any input between the two ??

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
40' H and H, 31 JC and 25' Carolina Skiff
I was looking at the Simrad also, and i'm going to be installing one with the GPS and side scan function with 2 tranducers. The thing i liked most about the simrad is,it is the quickest processor speed I ever saw. I have a Northstar 6100, Furuno 7000 and Garmin 4208 and its speed blows them all away. Very good unit IMO

Del

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Webbers Cove
Lowrance just intro'd their new touch screen line (7, 9, & 12 inch) which includes structure scan. See Panbo.com as well as the Lowrance site. More manufacturers seem to be stepping up capability.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
ok i think i narrowed it down to these two machines any one have any input between the two ??

The NSS12 has better speed, as mentioned, an easier to navigate interface, and HIGHLY superior accessories as far as the BSM1 and BSM2 sounder modules, the StructureScan option, and the fact that it can run the Navionics PlatinumPLUS charts not just fast, but elegantly with no graphical artifacting in 3D or when using the Fish'N'Chip. The 6212 is just a 4212 with a newer processor and sleeker bezel, it's got a clunky UI, poor tech support (the same guy who picks up the marine tech support line is the same guy who handles Garmin Nuvi issues), and Navico, Simrad's parent company, has spent a ton of money building a top notch tech team that's nipping at Furuno's heels. I've had too many issues with Garmin sounders/radars and their G2 charts are just weak when compared to the detail of everything else out there (Navionics, C-Map, MapMedia), aside from the Nautic Insight charts. But it all depends on what you're most comfortable with and how you intend to use it. I don't mean to come off as a Garmin basher, but unfortunately they are the mass produced cream filled pasty of the marine electronics industry and my experiences with their network systems has been disappointing. For a 5'' combo GPS/FF, can't beat the value, but why buy a twinkie when you can get a cannoli for the same price?

sidejob

Lieutenant
Boat Make
novi
next issue wharf rat

so i choose the nse 12 now do i buy the structure scan with the new transducers or do i keep the two 1kws transducers that are already on the boat and buy a furuno 585 ? what would u do ?

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
so i choose the nse 12 now do i buy the structure scan with the new transducers or do i keep the two 1kws transducers that are already on the boat and buy a furuno 585 ? what would u do ?

What depth are you going to be fishing at? Furuno's standard sounder is outstanding when paired with a 1kW like a B260/M260, however the beam angle is significantly narrower when compared to a 600W transducer or a wide-beam 1kW like the SS270W or SS264Ws. The higher performance on the 1kW isn't really the output wattage, rather the number of elements within the transducer. See here
airmarl.jpg
. Just click on the image to zoom in, and you'll get an idea of the bottom coverage you'd have with say a B744V (600W) vs. a B260 which is likely what you have on the boat now.

You might end up just going with the Furuno instead of the BSM-1 standard sounder for the NSE, and just add the StructureScan. However, keep in mind the depth limitations on the LSS-1 as well. Tough decision to make, it really depends on what wrecks you're looking for, and how deep you need to see.

sidejob

Lieutenant
Boat Make
novi
thanks for all ur help i checked the numbers on the transducers i have one on each side of the keel they are both b 258 i have a furuno 600fcvl only one trans ducer is connected do i put the nse 12 on one and leave the furuno on other or take them both out and buy the structure scan or buy a y connectore to plug both into the furuno ?

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
Hey sidejob,

Unfortunately, the B258s you have will not be compatible with the NSE's BSM. Some transducers are adaptable, but unfortunately there's an additional wire on the Lowrance/Simrad Blue Connector style transducers that makes them incompatible. I would suggest connecting a Furuno fishfinder, like the FCV585, to one of those B258s, but make sure that at least one of them has an 8 or 10 pin connector (there is an 8 to 10 pin adapter for the newer Furuno units), however the OLD furuno transducers have either 4 or 5 pin connectors. Considering they are B258s, I am almost positive they are either 8 or 10. The StructureScan is a difficult question, because in order to get the full view on an inboard powered boat with a modified/deep vee/keel is using DUAL thru-hull transducers, or, if there is a flat spot aft that is away from prop wash or hull turbulence (strainers, strakes, etc. forward) you can get away with the single bronze thru hull. The dual transducer setup, while optimal, gets expensive, I think somewhere around 1100 or 1200 my cost, but don't hold me to that, I'd need to check. Let me know what kind of boat this is, and the depths you'll be fishing, and I'll give you my best recommendation.

Top Bottom