First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Went to Jr High and High School with John and Ski. They were inseparable back then. Great story!

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
That is an awesome story.thanks for Posting

Madchark

Commander
Nice to read an article with a save at the end.

Makes a good read for a movie setting, would love to have a movie crew in Liars at 2am with a camera. Might not get the camera out in one piece. :cool::cool:

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
I am a recreational boater, not a commercial fisherman. But I think every guy who goes out on a boat, commercially or recreationally should read this article/editorial and think hard about what it means to them: Trying Very Hard To Die: The Preventable Disease in Commercial Fishing | gCaptain

What the article says is that John Aldridge did everything wrong (except saving himself). He worked 22 hours straight when he didn't have to, he worked alone in the middle of the night miles from shore, he didn't wear a pfd and he didn't have a personal EPIRB.

Commercial fishing is probably one of the last industries in America that gets away with this kind of behavior. The construction industry learned a long time ago that safe practices and safety equipment save lives. No one in the construction industry that I worked for would last a day doing what Mr. Aldridge did.

The commercial fishing industry needs to wake up and take responsibility for protecting themselves from needless risks.

David

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Yes David. Hence the name "Lucky Bastad". I could not help but think those exact thoughts as I read the NY Times story. He should get out there and use his "claim to fame" as a means to educate people on personal deck safety. We all HATE to hear about bad endings that might have been prevented.

cb34

Rear Admiral
story

Thanks for posting Bill. For those of us who do not fish for our survival it is erroneous to question commercial fisherman's behavior. Awesome story, good on ya John.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
I thought there was a similar system that would kill the engine. Yes/No?

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Top Bottom