Off Season Project

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Years of use and many questionable installations by earlier owners have taken their toll, I finally got tired of the soft spots and numerous patches in my cockpit deck and decided to take care of the problem. The lid was ripped off and the various worms revealed. I am into the third full day of destruction and another 4 or 5 more ahead until things start going back together and then it’s as the weather allows.

Deck was plywood in two layers for 1” total and a glass layer either side. I just ripped the glass off the wet areas by hand after a few starter cuts and a lot of the ply came right up that way too, the dry areas were still pretty stout and got cut into sections and yanked up. Wet plywood can hold an amazing amount of water! Lucky for me the beams and most support structures in great shape.

It’s going back together with 1” coosa and couple layers of glass on top with a few extra supports under where we carry the most deck loads. It should be pretty solid and definitely far better than original. Many while I’m at it things to include new exhaust connections, some fresh wires and fuel hose, etc.

Short vimeo of some of the early effort and as I can will add to this as things progress.

winterking

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
It was called Scott but now it’s Hatteras Boatyard. Mike Scott sold it many years ago to Daniel who kept the name and few years ago he sold it to a group of local waterman, so now it’s Hatteras. Really great yard and most do their own work but the yard guys are all very talented and have helped me out over the years with all my boats with everything from engine changes, hull blasting, painting and routine Mx.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Well, it has been some long days but the deck is in and just needs the top glass layers which will happen next week when the warm wx returns. To keep working I made a tent and that helped tremendously keeping us out of most of the wind and rain.

FC322BA0-F26A-416C-973E-E4ECA4F752E9.jpeg

Ended up replacing almost all the exhaust, new tubes glassed into the stern, new hangers and clamps, etc., all new fuel lines, new bilge pumps and hoses and pulled fresh wiring for anything that ran under the deck. Added some beam structure and couple extra columns to the stringers in the center, Sorta overdid it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom