Oil capacity yanmar 240?

Fishbucket

Lieutenant
The Book calls for 10 liters or 2.6 gallons.
Is that total? Including filter?
I'm trying to re-mark my dipsticks (which are wrong)after a rebuild.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
The total listed in the book is the true total. You can take some of that and fill the new oil filter if you like, but I don't believe its necessary.

GLA

Commander
I always thought that oil capacities in boats were theoretical, and the actual full mark on a dipstick was related to the engine's level. and some could take more if the engine is at a further down angle than another.
and that there is a plug on the block to find the true oil level when the engine is sitting in the hull in the water.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
I always thought that oil capacities in boats were theoretical, and the actual full mark on a dipstick was related to the engine's level. and some could take more if the engine is at a further down angle than another.
and that there is a plug on the block to find the true oil level when the engine is sitting in the hull in the water.

I think you have to separate out your two points there. The dip stick mark will most likely need to be customized based on the sitting angle of the motor, but that does not change the quantity of oil required- just your accurate measurement of it.

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
I always ran 3 gallons (12 quarts ) including filter in that # in mine and never had an issue . The 4 LHA & STP are good bullet proof engines imo .

Fishbucket

Lieutenant
I always ran 3 gallons (12 quarts ) including filter in that # in mine and never had an issue . The 4 LHA & STP are good bullet proof engines imo .

That's too much oil, you'll blow out the rear main seals and cause excessive crankcase oil blowbye.
I just rebuild my twin 4lha's due to blown out rear seals from doing exactly that. Running too much oil.
Like you said, I just used an even 3 gallons bacause that's where the dipstick read full.
The book calls for 10 litres, 10.5 quarts or 2.6 gallons and strictly warns of overfilling.

Fishbucket

Lieutenant
I think you have to separate out your two points there. The dip stick mark will most likely need to be customized based on the sitting angle of the motor, but that does not change the quantity of oil required- just your accurate measurement of it.

The method I used (this time) was to put 10.5 quarts in, Put a dry filter on, and run it.
I then re-marked the dipstick which is now about 1/2 way in between the Add: and Full:
In the future I will fill the filter first.
At least now I truly know the exact full level.

Also during the rebuild I switched the dipstick and tube on the starboard motor to the inside. I just had to bend around the starter and rework/weld the bracket. That way I can check and change the oil both motors from the center of the bilge.
77D835BD-83A5-4255-8AD5-A33EC49229BB-21267-00001695C59BD666_zpse2c99973.jpg

C7F4A894-6030-4288-953B-6E743AB9C126-10216-000009E7B005C363.jpg

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I am pretty sure that your motors also have a shorty dipstick to port. This stick is more accurate as it goes directly into the pan and not down the sleeved tube. Even with the correct manual amount if the motors are sitting not level there will be too much oil pushing up against the rear seal & crank. I would fill the motors as per the stick to port. Better you run two qts low than high. These motors have a very generous pan capacity.

Top Bottom