oil change system

coddock

Commander
What do you guys use for a oil change system? I have been fighting with a Jabsco bucket system, through the dipstick of the Yanmar mill for a few years now. I am totally done with it; a true POS. Takes waaaaay too long, and today it only moved 5 or so Qts. and I gave up! I even rigged up a neat rig to clamp to the top of the dipstick, instead of down the tube....not much better.
I like the looks of the Reverso, but fairly pricey. Anybody use the X-change unit?

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
I use the reverso on the big draggers i fish on there great we can change the oil in a 3412 in no time it holds 19 gallons we can change the gear and main oil in about an hr about 45 gallons in and out

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I have a Reverso also.........they are great pumps.......I can drain 10 gals in minutes

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Reverso- don't forget its awfully nice to pump the new oil in too.

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
What ever pump you use, DO heat up the oil before you pump out.
It will flows reals purdy like.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
your engine already has drain hose off bottom of oil pan and transmission, right?

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
I`ll also cast my vote for the reverse..mine is over 16 years old, replaced the impeller once..
install drain hoses this winter in place of the drain plugs on both your gear and motor, install the pump in the engine room somewhere, poof, 1/2 of everything you need for a change is already there..
I do find that pouring the new oil in is a little quicker than the pump.. usually because its not as warm.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
My thought is, you never get all the oil out, and whatever is laying in the hose is not an issue.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Cheap way

On all of my vessel I purchase a second oil pan drain plug. Next I tap the drain pan plug with 3/8 threads & I thread in a 3' hose. With the engine oil drained I next remove the original drain plug, catch the oil that never made it up the dipstick pull. Usually about 1-2 gts. Thread in the tap plug & done. The 3' hose is then attached to my pump bucket. It is much easier to pull oil out than suck oil out. The key is the oil MUST be hot. Also when pulling the oil out your filler cap should be off so that air can enter as the oil is pulled out. I also did the same on the engine gear.

storm 080.jpg

Top Bottom