Oil lubricated shaft?

andy65

Commander
First Name
Andy
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Talked to a broker about an 87 35' Duffy. He said the shaft is oil lubricated. There is a reservoir that you top off periodically. Ever hear of such a set up? Any issues? I would think that oil would get into the bilge and over the side. I don't think the EPA would like that. Maybe substitute olive oil!!
Would it be a bit of a project $$ to replace?

andy65

Commander
First Name
Andy
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
He said it is a container you pour oil into. Is that an Evolution? So where does the oil go - the bilge? That doesn't sound good. If it is an Evolution, is it difficult to replace?

andy65

Commander
First Name
Andy
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Florida boat with blue top on the flybridge. Know anything about it?
What performance would you expect with 3208 TI Cat 375 hp? Pushing 3000 hrs on a 27 yr old engine - not the same as a 6 year old engine with the same hours.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Lip seals usually have a very good life span. This thing is a floating design so it should not create premature seal wear due to misalignment issues. The only draw back that I can see besides seal replacement labor when the time comes, might be shaft wear in the seal area itself. Ever pull the harmonic balancer off of the front of a motor? It is usually grooved in the seal area from the lip seal. Those are an easy fix with a speedy sleeve, but I'm not sure about a marine drive shaft. Because there is no adjustment, a new seal will either work, or it won't - unless the shaft is reconditioned. But to replace the seals, it looks like the shaft has to be pulled anyway. FYI - I have no experience with these first hand, just posting a few thoughts.

dwnhmr

Lieutenant Commander
I have some experience with Norscot seals.
If the shaft in excellent condition, there will be no problems. And there should be no oil loss. But if there are any tiny imperfections (such as pitting) where the seals ride you may loose oil. It will likely go outside the boat, not into the bilge. You do have the option of running vegetable oil instead of ATF
Yes you'll need to haul the boat if seals need to be replaced. Only minor adjustment can be done in the water.
Overall I do like these seals. The housing is compact, if you have limited room, and don't require running a cooling line off your engine.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Florida boat with blue top on the flybridge. Know anything about it?
What performance would you expect with 3208 TI Cat 375 hp? Pushing 3000 hrs on a 27 yr old engine - not the same as a 6 year old engine with the same hours.

I flew down to Ft. L to see the boat in August. The boat pushed 15 kts at 2200 / 12 gph. Hour clock was just over 2700 hours at the time / owner said the clock had been changed at about 1000 hours by the previous owner. I tracked the previous owner down and confirmed this / so actual hours were 3700. I'm sure she is well over 4000 at this point. No muffler & no sound insulation. Sounded like a work boat. They still continue to advertise her with what is on the clock. Norscott on this boat needs to be refilled approx every 100 hours.

27 year old boat that sure is pretty, but just needed way to much for me to follow through on .. our negotiation left us 20k apart and that was paying too much for my thoughts. The seller had a "have to get number to move onto the next boat". Happy to have a more detailed discussion with anyone offline or by phone. It was tough to walk away from. I just don't have the wallet to put myself upside down on day one ...

Fishinengineer

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy
Had far to many nightmares on different ships with oil lubricated bearings. All it takes is a piece of mono to get wrapped up on the shaft and your going though oil like shit through a goose. On big shafts they slide a liner over the shaft that comes up against the fwd side of the propeller hub if it gets grooved you put a spacer ring in that shifts the groove a few inches. Much like a sleeve for a pump seal. For my money its a cutlass bearing and a dripless seal any day.

Top Bottom