oil pressure

Flying Finn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu
i have a lehman 4D61 about b1983. mu pressure gage is usually around 40. yesterday i ran it a little harder than i normally do and the gage was reading 60. while idling to the mooring it went to 80 and the alarm went off. i pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. just a few days before it was between min and max. so today i dumped in 4.5 qts. which brought it to max. we took a spin at around 1600 rpm and after about 20 minutes the gage went to 80 again. i limped in, then wound up having to be towed back to the mooring. checking the dipstick, it was very low. there is no oil it the bilge, but there is evidence of some oil being sprayed on the upper part of the motor. consequently, the engine has been hard starting, but ok after warmed up, and running warmer than normal as of late. I'm not an expert, but am suspecting head gasket? I feel the oil is not circulating.

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
I would start fresh. Full oil service with filter. Put in the amount the engine calls for . Then read the dip. Next do some controlled runs at slow , med, and high . After each run check the dip. Try to get an idea what is happening. if you have a bad head gasket and sucking in oil , you will have a very rich cylinder . The exhaust should show some excessive smoke.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom