First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
when you ask Freeman about the weatherstripping ask them about refinishing the aluminum...and let us know what they say about both topics

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Put some non-skid on 'em while your at it.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
If you want a like new finish, you can just send them out for anodizing. They will prep the hatches correctly, and once re-anodized, they will look EXACTLY like new or better. You can also pick your color if you don't want a clear finish. It does not chip or peel like paint can, but 20 years from now, they will look like they do now......weathered. Just look in the yellow pages or google anodizing. This is probably the most expensive route, but it will last the longest and look the best. I used Paul's Custom Plating in PA. to get some bronze parts re-chromed for my Bertram. I'm not sure if they do anodizing, but you can email them at paulschrome.com. They did a fantastic job on the chrome.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Had the same things on my boat. Although not disturbed by the looks of them, the rings in the deck kept "growing" in their rabbet in the deck I mean giving off a white oxide dispite my attempts to rebed them. This "growing" caused them to pull the bolts up through the deck. I'd clean them (the rings) grind them and rebed them in a new position but in a year or so they would start again giving off white oxide and pulling the bolts up and again causing a tripping point on the deck. A good day for me when I deep sixed them.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Most anodizing shops will not attempt to anodize weathered castings, or castings of unknown alloy. If they do agree they will not guarantee the results. And yes, I know someone that owns an anodizing facility.

Well, then maybe just blast them and clear coat them? Just a thought for the like new look. Not sure how the clear coat would hold up. All of my anodizing experience has been with new parts, many moons ago.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
You could just get them anodized. They etch them first. They will look pretty good, maybe not like new, but they will be protected. If your going to paint them I would still take them to a plating company & have them chromated. This will give corrosion protection under the paint or powder coat and make an excellent prep for adhesion. If it was me I would just anodize and be done with it.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
anyone have a picture of what glass beaded aluminum looks like? Please post pics of your aluminum restoration. Would think the blasting would make it blotchy for some reason.

The more I read all these ideas the more I think I might paint them the same color as my cockpit floor (light tan or grey) with non skid. Would have to leave the handles bare metal since they are smooth SS. I think this might be the best way for me to go but I will experiment with the wire wheel (brass) and some sand paper. Polishing is just sanding up to extrememly high grits really. Was thinking I might make the highest surfaces look decent with sanding and leave the recesses a little rougher and paint them. Not sure what I could use for clear coat that would stand up to foot traffic though so maybe just paint the whole mess.

I can see how the metal would be "impregnated" with some foreign metal using the wire wheel because I have seen little rust spots appear on non-metallic items I have used a steel wire wheel on before but going to try it anyway because I need to at least scuff the whole thing for paint.

It depends on the aluminum but it pretty much looks frosted and matte. Its raw at this point and everything will leave a mark. fingerprints and all.

I bet Aluminum wheel acid would do the trick for a good clean up before paint. (which leaves an etch also)

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Think they will get painted but this is interesting. Would be the first pair of polished hatches in a Sisu lol... good video and proves it can be done with sandpaper.

How To Polish Aluminum Rims - YouTube

That's cool but I don't think it will work as well on the hatches due to the nooks & cranneys, and they will be slippery.

Parttime

Lieutenant Commander
I have the same hatches. I've tried polishing, clear coating and painting. All with limited success.

Painting seems to improve their looks with the least effort.

Have you had the handle jam because of the plastic bushing, yet?

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Top Bottom