old boats

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard
when I cut two fingers off, my friend Harold Burnham of Essex ma. gave me a copy of Lone Voyager. Blackburn lost all his digits and then sailed across the pond solo if I remember 3 times.
That was when men were men and fishermen were tough bastards
WOODSHOP TEACHER:

Interesting you say that. I did something similar recently, when my friend, a life-long user of power tools, had a ghastly injury to his hand while using a wood splitter.

I too sent him a copy of Joseph Garland’s, LONE VOYAGER.

That said, I came back on this thread because of the 1940 26-foot Winchenbaugh over in the FOUND BOATS section raises the topic of boats by that Friendship, Maine builder.

Here is a photo of the Winchenbaugh shop, I believe taken in 1951. “Doc” Breed’s 38-foot JAGUAR is shown being launched. He had learned Bluefin Tiuna harpooning as a teenager on a smaller Winchenbaugh-built boat, the THETIS, out of Lane’s Cove, Gloucester, in the 1930s.

This was his first fishing boat, ordered after establishing a private medical practice and having served in the U. S. Navy as a combat physician in the Pacific Theatre in World War II.

She was powered with a 3-71 G. M. diesel, which according to some would have contributed to its being a very sneaky boat. Supposedly there is something about in-line engines with an odd number of cylinders that makes them run exceptionally smoothly.

Only a nine-knot boat, but he slayed Giant Bluefin Tuna by harpoon with that rig.

jaguar.38.in.freindship.boatshop.edit.jpg

Penzance Point

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Mike
The Christmas Cove man with the 600lb. BFT, did he fish alone,or 2 men? And did he row in with the BFT behind him? Talk about the Old man and the Sea.

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
Some of the older Downeast Lobster boats were only rigged with what some called a "Bristol hauler", that is, no davit; just yank the trap aboard by hand after it breaks the surface by way of the rail-mounted "winch-head".

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
Now there is a boat with some history, if you remember or want to research the "Honour Brown Storm" of November 1980.

Interesting background before launch, too. An over-sized Downeast Lobster boat designed by Aage Nielsen, a famous sailing yacht designer, reportedly drawing it for his son-in-law, the boat owner.

novivin

Captain
Lite User

pembroke

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Russ

Vahn

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Stanley
1651703300686.jpeg
1651703370256.jpeg
Passing through Ileseboro (corrected from N. Haven) end of last season, and had to take a couple shots of her. Appreciate seeing classic lobster boats that are taken good care of.

Last edited:

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
Now THERE's a Downeast in the older Jonesporter/Beals Island style!

No geeky spray rails on her.

Built by Vinal Beal, in 1959 (thank you, Jon Johansen, researcher/historian).

Last edited:

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
Any idea of location, boat name, or owner? There are legible numbers for a good investigator.

Is it a staged photo? He's not really hauling pots; his punt is alongside.

We know it's in Maine: there's a fog bank in the background.

Top Bottom