Old Flares?

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
I always thought that it was a good idea to keep old flares on the boat,
as long as you had new (unexpired) as back up in case of emergency. According to a friend this is not so, he said just having the old ones on the boat (even though you have current) would be a violation and the CG could possibly cite you? Your thoughts?

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Been boarded many times and have always had excessive expired flares with me and never once had an issue. They just asked me to keep the up to date flares separate from the expired ones. This does not mean that you can't be cited for having them it just means I've never had an issue.

jigger80

Lieutenant
As long as you have sufficient non-expired flares onboard, I cant possibly see how you could be cited. I always keep my excess expired flares with me. If you need them, I dont really care what the date on them says if they work!!

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

commtuna

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 tons of steel
It's not a violation. Just mark them as "Training Only". We actually encourage people to keep them onboard. Having extra flares, although expired, is better than having the bare minimum. Just because they are expired doesn't mean they wont work.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Onboard ship we used all of our expired pyrotechnics for training purposes. It is good to see how this stuff works in a controlled situation before you really need to use them. With that said and others have advised just keep the expired gear separate from the current stuff.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Ok.....now that we are on the subject of Coast Guard regulations.......I got boarded today in Jones inlet.....fluke fishing...(commercial trip).....everything is ok until the officer wants to check the life raft......I tell him don't bother going up top...its expired this july....well all hell broke loose.......they site me for expired life raft........I said we are in state waters its a state trip......it should not matter.......but the officer was going under a HMS rule book.....what's your guys thoughts.......

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I think their point of view is that if you have permits for Federal waters and the raft is on the boat and expired that they won't go for that. I don't personally agree with that concept, but I bet that's their rationale for citing you.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I think their point of view is that if you have permits for Federal waters and the raft is on the boat and expired that they won't go for that. I don't personally agree with that concept, but I bet that's their rationale for citing you.

There rationale is not correct ......like when I leave the dock in the AM I have to choice on my trip report either commercial or charter......a commercial state inshore trip has nothing to do with a fed waters Hms trip........I .D .K...once I was told during a state waters boarding that even though out of date.....its still a buoyant apperatise so u can have it on the boat

Last edited:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I thought if you had it onboard and ready to use, you are obligated to keep it up to date.

I also have heard, again rumor, but if you are just fishing say in a fishery that does not need it, put a canvas bag over it. Thats what I got told one time when I asked why they were had canvas bags over there rafts... I'm not buying it... but throwing it out there...

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
The only thing that I am certain of is that arguing or disagreeing with the man with the badge is not going to end well for you, ever. If they have a hair across there ass that day for whatever reason and they decide that they are going to relieve the tension by busting your balls then that's what they are going to do. All we can do is dispute the charges later which almost always ends up costing you more money somehow.

Last edited:

commtuna

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 tons of steel
Ok.....now that we are on the subject of Coast Guard regulations.......I got boarded today in Jones inlet.....fluke fishing...(commercial trip).....everything is ok until the officer wants to check the life raft......I tell him don't bother going up top...its expired this july....well all hell broke loose.......they site me for expired life raft........I said we are in state waters its a state trip......it should not matter.......but the officer was going under a HMS rule book.....what's your guys thoughts.......
If you are a commercial vessel or a vessel with commercial permits, you are required to have all necessary equipment regardless of the body of water you are fishing in. Because you were fishing within 3nm of shore (state waters) your voyage was not terminated, so your lucky. Federal permit = federal requirements. We carry a book that states what every boat needs for whatever they are doing. We simply go down the checklist. If you are in question about a rule, just ask the boarding officer if you can see the rule/requirement in the book and they will 99% of the time show you.

I HIGHLY recommend you get your dockside safety exam. It saves a lot of time as we are then only required to spot check the "big five". Unless of course the boarding officer is a douchebag and wants to do a full boarding and waste your time, cant prevent that unfortunately.

And plowin is right, arguing wont make it easier for you. When I conduct a boarding, I want to be done as fast as possible to let you get back to fishing. Honestly, when your fishing making a living I want to interfere as little as possible. If you argue with me and are disrespectful about rules I have no control over, I will make your life a living hell and will check EVERY SINGLE EXACT THING DOWN TO THE FINEST DETAIL. Tit for tat...

Last edited:

Aloop

Commander
How do you use the flares for training without causing a ruckus with the officials? I shot off the rocket flares on the Fourth of July while everyone else was shooting off Roman candles.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Out at sea 100+ offshore with a security call over the radio noting our position and that we are conducting training operations.

How do you use the flares for training without causing a ruckus with the officials? I shot off the rocket flares on the Fourth of July while everyone else was shooting off Roman candles.

Super Suck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Lasco 5' fiberglass
I would recommend the training with these, actually firing one or 2 off. The 1st time, since it was very dark, I just taped the trigger and fired it across the water not realizing what exactly would happen, the speed and loudness it makes while holding the tube. The 2nd time was a year later but there was a hang fire. Both times made me jump when it fired off!

Top Bottom