Old rope into doormats

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So i took a hint from the mainers and tried my hand at making a doormat out of old rope. Might be able to drum up some business getting guys to let me turn their old hard lay junk shrimp trap rope into doormats and get to sell them new rope :rolleyes: Here's the first one
20140402_191905[1].jpg

20140402_191905[1].jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I have one just like that made from blue poly line (wife found it at a store on the Cape) and its great. I like yours better-looks like it would absorb some water off your shoes. Looks great.

image.jpg

Mike28

Commander
Boat Make
Parker 2320dvsc
Stores all over Maine are littered with these.
I believe there is a foundation that was started for lobsterman to donate there old lines to be made into these mats and other things to help recycle.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I have one just like that made from blue poly line (wife found it at a store on the Cape) and its great. I like yours better-looks like it would absorb some water off your shoes. Looks great.

No mine is also made of floating rope so it won't soak up water, guess if they were made with nylon then they would soak up some water. Got a old anchor line ??

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
The baskets are pretty neat, they make a bunch of sizes, little smaller than a clothes basket. You could make some pack baskets ,and when they get run over by the snow machine they don't splinter. Those mats would be good made out of some old sunrotted poly on the bare feet.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
The baskets are pretty neat, they make a bunch of sizes, little smaller than a clothes basket. You could make some pack baskets ,and when they get run over by the snow machine they don't splinter. Those mats would be good made out of some old sunrotted poly on the bare feet.

I bet some nice old fish smelling rope made into a pack basket would be great for attracting bears !!

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
With leg holds? Yotes.

We don't fur trap anymore. Family did from the 40s until a few years back. Rats are pretty much MIA around here these days. I think the last ones we trapped were 15-20 years ago! Fisher have come south in recent years. Not enough money in furs anynmore let alone mostly coon to make it worth while. Its all nuisance work but Im still clawing out a piece of the pie.

Unlike the rest of the guys in the area I actually know how to hunt and trap. Not to mention we are 24/7 including holidays so I do ok.

Laura has a nice steady job with full benefits so that helps a lot!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
With leg holds? Yotes.

We don't fur trap anymore. Family did from the 40s until a few years back. Rats are pretty much MIA around here these days. I think the last ones we trapped were 15-20 years ago! Fisher have come south in recent years. Not enough money in furs anynmore let alone mostly coon to make it worth while. Its all nuisance work but Im still clawing out a piece of the pie.

Unlike the rest of the guys in the area I actually know how to hunt and trap. Not to mention we are 24/7 including holidays so I do ok.

Laura has a nice steady job with full benefits so that helps a lot!

So your a highliner !! fisherman with a wife with a good job :D. I still have a good pile of my old victor leg holds and conibears when i trapped rats & coons in NJ. Thought about trapping here for martin but its far away and i don't really like being out in the backcountry by myself in the middle of winter.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve, part of that may be when you're " out in the backcountry" in AK you wouldn't be crossing any roads or hearing and civilization within a few minutes. You really are alone !!.

I've always realize how BIG the backcountry is when we stop and just look around its like they say the quiet is deafening !! But i do love being out there.
P3020024.JPG

P3020026.JPG

picture disc 2 299.jpg

picture disc 2 297.jpg

picture disc 2 402.jpg

picture disc 2 328.jpg

P3020024.JPG

P3020026.JPG

picture disc 2 297.jpg

picture disc 2 402.jpg

picture disc 2 299.jpg

picture disc 2 328.jpg

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
You have no idea how bad those photos make we want to sell everything and move there right now! No leaf blowers, car horns, traffic, customers, F'ing cell phones omg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
That is some amazing country there. Wow- that you in the pic? Looks like a great time.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
That is some amazing country there. Wow- that you in the pic? Looks like a great time.

yeah thats me, i never get tired of being out there in the winter. Never got out this year just not enough snow and the rivers were just glare ice not good for riding on. Guess nobody saw the moose in one of the pictures ??

Top Bottom