On board charger / rigging question.

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by ARC, Oct 10, 2018.

1. ARC

ARC Senior Member

i have a Xantrex 2000w freedom charger/ inverter and a Next-Gen 3.5k generator. Everything works as it is designed to do. My question is about how the boat was rigged. I will call Eastern but would like your opinion. There is a shore/ off/gen switch. When you plug in the boat to shore the Xantrex charger turns on and charges the duel 8d batteries. The shore switch does not have to be in the shore position. Nothing else AC works. Put the switch to shore and the boat powers up with 120 AC voltage.
    Batteries charge as they should. My Generator does not have any battery charging output. This is how they are made. So running the generator actually can run down the batteries do to electric fuel pump. Turning the master switch to GEN powers up the AC to the boat. Everything works but the Xantrex. The display never sees AC volt in. Therefore I am not charging the batteries.
    So when on the hook I can only charge from the main engine not the generator. This is how it is factory rigged. I know I could add a charger. But why do I need to and why did the boat leave the factory with no way to charge the batteries with the on board charger.
    The Xantrex is also an inverter. When the boat is not plugged in it will make 120v. The master switch must be in the shore position to power up the ac panel. This also works properly.

ARC,
  2. djmarchand

djmarchand Senior Member

Retird engineer
    Boat Make:
    Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
    Your boat is not wired typically. Typically, at least for boats with a single 30A shore power supply, all loads are powered through the shore/gen/off switch including the Xantrex charger. Yours is obviously wired to power the charger independently of how the shore/gen/off switch is set, even on off.

So I would recommend rewiring it so everything goes through that switch.

David

3. ARC

ARC Senior Member

Yes David that’s what I thought. And I can easily fix that. I just don’t know if it was a rigging error or done on purpose. Also the Next-Gen is a bit of a dirty sine wave. Maybe the Xantrex doesn’t like it. I bought a new microwave and it would not run off the generator. My old school one does.

ARC,
  4. djmarchand

djmarchand Senior Member

Retird engineer
    Boat Make:
    Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
    I had exactly the same equipment- NexrGen 3.5 and Feedom inverter charger on my last boat but wired properly. It ran the charger and microwave just fine.

BTW, I totally understand your first post about charging the starting battery. Presume you use the echo charger output to charge it with and maybe an ACR to chrge the propulsion engine starting battery or vice versa.

David

5. ARC

ARC Senior Member

good To hear that. I will rewire it so that the Gen or Shore will supply ac to the Xantrex

ARC,
  6. EZ1

EZ1 Member

boat builder
    Boat Make:
    Freya
    Call Xantrex tech support first.

EZ1,
  7. ARC

ARC Senior Member

I called. good service thanks

ARC,