On-Board chargers

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
The only charger i can recommend is charles. Great product, even better support.

As for the genset question, the more advanced the charger is (ie auto detecting cells, and the more digital boards) i would PRESUME the need for a pure sine wave(unless the manufacture has some sort of circuit to get around it). Digital boards do not like conventional gen's (more of a square wave) , you will experience anomalies and potential damage the board itself. Mainly related to wave cycles, but anyways that would be a better question driven to the manufacturer

Regina E

Commander
Website
www.reginaesportfishing.com
Boat Make
35 Duffy #300
the only charger i can recommend is charles. Great product, even better support.

As for the genset question, the more advanced the charger is (ie auto detecting cells, and the more digital boards) i would presume the need for a pure sine wave(unless the manufacture has some sort of circuit to get around it). Digital boards do not like conventional gen's (more of a square wave) , you will experience anomalies and potential damage the board itself. Mainly related to wave cycles, but anyways that would be a better question driven to the manufacturer

yikes!!!!!

greg

Captain
I've had the xantrex 20 amp tru charge on two boats. They work well. I had to upgrade to a 50 amp xantrex on this boat because the 20 wasn't big enough.

Anyway, good units.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
also have the xantrex,,,,been 4 years and all good.

bluefin650

Commander
Here is what I am looking to do. If I plan on doing an overnighter, I will probably be out all day too (on the hook). I will have been drawing down my batteries. When I start the Gen, I want to be able to run all of my equipment and still charge my batteries. That's why I am looking at the 60amp charger. Rough guess, I will be drawing 25-30amps (May be more?)to run my gear. Rule 17a pump, FF, Radar, Refer, LED lights.

greg

Captain
Here is what I am looking to do. If I plan on doing an overnighter, I will probably be out all day too (on the hook). I will have been drawing down my batteries. When I start the Gen, I want to be able to run all of my equipment and still charge my batteries. That's why I am looking at the 60amp charger. Rough guess, I will be drawing 25-30amps (May be more?)to run my gear. Rule 17a pump, FF, Radar, Refer, LED lights.

That's why I moved up to a 50 amp charger.. I draw roughly 30 amps all lit up for an overnight of fishing. It does the job and batteries stay charged.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF

My suggestion to you, pick the brand you like. Call or email (email better because now its in writing)their tech support line, and tell them exactly what you want to do. You will get it from the horses mouth, and it makes it much easier to fight a warranty claim if the device fails.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
I would have to recommend Victron Energy if you're looking for the best charger or inverter products out there. We use them exclusively for combination units, as Xantrex has TERRIBLE support when it comes to their inverters since they split away from the Heart Interface brand. Charles makes a good product, but I feel they are way overpriced, however they bend over for bigger OEM builders to make sure they get their products onboard, from Iso-Boost's and Iso Transformers, to their chargers and inverters.

The ProNautic by ProMariner would be the better choice, as they produce a quality unit for a pretty good price. I do have two 60A Xantrex TrueCharge2s in stock, however I would still consider going to the ProNautic, however if you're looking for something bulletproof, take a look at the Victron line. When space isn't an issue, we go with the Victron units every time.

Top Bottom