One for the wood guys

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
screws

keep it original, if you have bronze keep it that way

fasteners

my preference is bronze. slotted screws. Monel is a good option but very expensive. I wouldn't use stainless because it gets eaten away by the tannic acid in oak framing and also leaves rust spots. If you are using ring nails, either bronze or monel work well.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Stainless is also no good b/c it corrodes from the inside out, so you don't know what you've got.

plyandglass

Lieutenant Commander
Which fasteners to use

Best bet is to use what as we in the repair industry call " like kind" if the boat was originally fastened with bronze or silicon bronze nails , rivets and threaded fasteners , use the same ,DO NOT INTER-MIX .
Galvanic action and any stray electrical current at the dock over time will wreak havoc with dissimilar metals. just my 2 cents worth.
Good luck with your project!

48lobster

Lieutenant
after you have replaced your planking and caulked with cotton/oakum I would seriously consider using neoprene roof cement for your seams.... I have tried everything under the sun and this stuff really is the cats ass. Its cheap( 6-7$) a tube ,goes in easy(caulking gun) will not fall out of seams but can be reefed out if need be.

Lorio

Ensign
I have wet cotton in my seams and can't seem to keep compound in them. That could be worth a try

48lobster

Lieutenant
takes paint well....cant remember the specs but in compresses and elongates without loosing its adhearence to the seams really well....something like 200% thus being said if you hauled out for the winter and she dries out it will stretch and not break the seam and when she swells back up she can compress.
shit rules

48lobster

Lieutenant
try to clean up the seam as well as you can obviously......I have in the past used a blow torch lightly to "dry out" the seam to reef it properly afterwards. foolishly I tried slickseam which is waxy and could not remove all of it so I melted it out thus the blow torch.
I have tried it all like I said and the neoprene is the way to go.
My new build will get the neoprene from the start and hopefully will never have to touch it again.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

48lobster

Lieutenant
i used the torch lightly to melt the light film of waxy slickseam out so as to have a clean dry seam for the neoprene to adhear to.......trying to dry out wet cotton with a blow torch would be foolish as well as impossible to do.

Top Bottom