One Long Boat Ride

Ripcat

Commander
Anyone ever taken a boat from NC (Beaufort area) to New England...specifically Portsmouth, NH? This trip may be in my future so looking for any input that's available. Specifically curious if thinking I could get this done in 4 days is realistic? The boat i'd be on cruises at 27knots burning 17gph and holds 260 gallons.

Brakeforhake

Lieutenant Commander
Dockage

I have a nice dock in long beach ny on the south shore of long island very close to jones and debs inlets. You can tie up overnight for free as long as you take me fishing when I go to Portsmouth this summer. I lived there during college and moving back to long island was the worst move ever

MBILL

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy&Duffy
Norfolk to Long Island is about 2 days at your speeds. 4 Days seems realistic from Beaufort if you can run over 20 knots. I'd take the advice above and slow down a little to save some fuel bills. The price increases every mile that you go north.
I plan to take my boat the opposite way shortly, L.I. to Norfolk to finish Sandy repairs. I'll allocating 3 days to get there.

Ripcat

Commander
Thanks folks. I would be time restricted, unfortunately my 9-5er requires me to be back, so I would need to move along pretty quickly. Otherwise I'd take my time.

@Brakeforhake - thanks for the offer...will keep that in mind if this whole thing goes down.

@jnoon - Unfortunately its not a DE, its a 28' Albemarle Express. However obsessed with DE's I am...the purchase of one will have to be my next boat. Something to look forward to!

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Having run a Carolina Classic 28 (same boat..) as an Albermarle for 12 years I'd politley suggest you make plans around a 20-22 knot best case average speed and at least one out of 3 days as lost to "weather".

I have not taken mine south; I have many friends who take big sportfisher's south and they plan it that way also.

I probably have 3000 hours of experience and a few hundred trips south of NE on my 28 and its probably 1 out of 5 trips that I can run at more than 24 knots going south.

snark

Lieutenant
I ran my Albemarle 36 from Morehead to Westport MA in two days. Day 1 left at 1AM ran 9 knots until first light turned the corner north and ran 22-27 knots until I hit Ocean City at 4:45 PM. Fueled the and tied off to gas dock, departed first light ran outside LI 27 knots until Block when it kicked up to 30 NE, ran 15 knots for last 2 hours. Arrived Westport 4 ish.

Whole trip alone - this time of year - temps 40 isn - cold and tired. Docking alone is 30 knots with a new boat was memorable. I would take at least one more day and one more capable crew.

Ripcat

Commander
I guess in reality, if I make this trip, once we shove off in Beaufort...it will take what it takes to get back. Thanks for the input on 1 out 3 days...a good rule of thumb.

Can't imagine doing it solo...i've already recruited my mechanic who's also a buddy of mine. My wife's trying to go too...not sure if she'll make the crew yet though!

Machias

Lieutenant Commander
I would allocate at least 3 days are you runnin the Intracoastal or outside? I can give you the best fuel spots we recently did the reverse run from kbunkport.

snark

Lieutenant
Intracoastal adds a lot of time due to indirect route and no wake zones. . I think it is probably better to just time it around a weather window and run outside if you have flexibility to do so. If running inside I would think it is a 4 day trip. I definitely would not run inside at night.

Ripcat

Commander
Plan would be to run outside except for maybe the Cape Cod Canal.

Machias...please do share your fuel spots...much appreciated.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Ripcat,
I"m curious on the "condition" of the engines, fuel and the mechanicals of the boat? Also curious on what the boat has for power plants ?

I would NOT be a big fan of running a used boat new to me from NC to Portsmouth NH. That's just me of course. I'm a worry wort.

Seeing that you have limited time with your job and all maybe you might want to consider "trucking" the boat north? Might be a break even or better with fuel and time and all.

Had some friends who smoked a CAT halfway back from Ft. Lauderdale FL. to Newburyport Ma one year. Got tied up in MD somewhere and spent 3 weeks wrestling with CAT to get their engine fixed.

He had to fly down and back twice before it was all settled.

Just a thought. ;)

FWIW,

Bill D

Machias

Lieutenant Commander
If your comin from Morehead you can stop in ocean city, cape may, or Manasquan, make sure you use the shortcut around cape lookout as long as there's good weather. If your runnin inside through Hells gate Norwalk, point Judith or you can wait til Sandwhich in the canal. If you run outside Montauk. I like to fill up in Sandwhich and cape may. Good luck and safe travels! Pm me if you have any other questions.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
I had a similar sized boat, 28 topaz, that I made a seasonal run back n forth from Hatteras for several years. You will need an exceptional weather window to go from Beaufort to the ne at anything close to the speed you are thinking about on that size and class boat. On many trips I got caught on the outside north of Oregon inlet and took a severe beating even though it did not look like much when checking the weather. One trip we were making maybe five knots advance, basically just holding on and had been running steady 20s in beautiful weather hours before.

You need to plan on having to go intercoastal and the time to do so. If the weather allows the outside run, then all the better, but don't count on it. One long day from beaufort to norfolk, then you option up ocean or bay based on weather.

Even the Pamlico sound and Chesapeake can make you wish you weren't there too. But at least there are options to bail out and hole up in the event of weather or breakdown. Committing yourself to the banzai run in any boat is asking for a bit of trouble. Transiting in the open when you shouldn't be there has taken out boats far more capable.

Best of luck, enjoy the trip as it is what memories are made from.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I can only echo what Dave just said about the weather. I've made seven trips between Hatteras to Ocean City over the last year on account of some work we've been doing using my 56' DMR. There are lots of days you will not come close to making the speeds you are talking about in that comparative puddle jumper of a boat. Last year after Sandy, it took us fourteen days to do what would have taken eight in decent weather and both the ride up to Va and the ride back from Va were half shitty. We sat to the dock in Ocean City for three days waiting for a storm to get by and there were three decent days following that, then a 25 knot northeaster. Last year in mid June, we had three days of 25 knot northeast wind that held us up from getting up the coast. Going up the ICW can be a long foot-tapping ride, waiting on bridges, especially Monday to Friday. As for the Pamlico Sound, it can be rougher than the ocean sometimes b/c it's so shallow. Anyhow, my two cents. Ask anyone around here; I'm not generally one to sit to the dock if anyone else is going.

Ripcat

Commander
Good input and opinion all around...thanks.

Bill - The boat i'm looking at has been lightly used, or so i'm lead to believe. Engines are 240hp Yanmars with 800 hours. The devil on my shoulder says its a trip of a lifetime...just go for it....common sense tells me i'd have to be slightly crazy to purchase a boat and embark on a 700+ mile journey. I've received some good recommendations on folks who could haul her back so i'll definitely be investigating those. I am having Eric, your recommendation, survey the engines on Saturday while i'm there. He's been great to work with thus far and seems to know what he's talking about. He's also going to put together a list of spares he would recommend bringing along should I decide to make the journey. Thanks again for his information.

Pugsley - I have been under the impression that without special permits, this particular boat can't be trailered at a 9'6" beam. 102" is the limit...or so I've been lead to believe.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Good input and opinion all around...thanks.

Bill - The boat i'm looking at has been lightly used, or so i'm lead to believe. Engines are 240hp Yanmars with 800 hours. The devil on my shoulder says its a trip of a lifetime...just go for it....common sense tells me i'd have to be slightly crazy to purchase a boat and embark on a 700+ mile journey. I've received some good recommendations on folks who could haul her back so i'll definitely be investigating those. I am having Eric, your recommendation, survey the engines on Saturday while i'm there. He's been great to work with thus far and seems to know what he's talking about. He's also going to put together a list of spares he would recommend bringing along should I decide to make the journey. Thanks again for his information.

Pugsley - I have been under the impression that without special permits, this particular boat can't be trailered at a 9'6" beam. 102" is the limit...or so I've been lead to believe.

Rip,

Eric will serve you well. Never met him but I've talked with him a number of times and have posted to him dozens of times. He knows his business...if he'd didn't he'd have been 'called out" on boatdiesel forum a long time ago ! ;)

In your situation and the ONLY reason I suggested trucking the boat is your 9-5 employment commitment. Unexpected (Murphy's Law) happens and as many have mentioned here the seas many times do NOT cooperate with our schedules.

But as you say....."the trip of a lifetime":D

The Yanmars will last you. Good news here on the forum is that Capt. Larry and others KNOW how to make em last. Fresh water flushing...that type of stuff.

Either way...good luck with the boat no matter how you get her back to Portsmouth !!

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
again - 12 years with a CC28 - same basic boat.

the engines are the engines - Yanmar 240's are great old mechanical engines if properly maintained - I'd trust the survey to catch anything that is dangerous and imminent. As a precaution I'd change all fluids, the belt and the impellers unless the seller could show you proof they had been done recently.

What I would lose sleep over - you need to worry about your 1.5" shafts with the props with only 3.5"; *if* the props were not properly lapped onto the shafts and *if* the key is binding in the keyway the prop will wear on that shaft and eventually snap it. Its not an *if*, its a *when*.

Its the biggest weakness of the heavy pocket sportfish deep V boats - when you pound which you will the shaft flexes which is OK as long as the hub is properly fit to the shaft so there is no single point of stress.

I would politely suggest you have the prop's removed & balanced; the shafts dye tested and the props properly reinstalled before you set out.

Your really want to do this anyways at some point - spend the 1500$ up front and remove one worry before you set out.

Top Bottom