Opinions on 16ft Staford Dory Skiff

Discussion in 'Skiffs and Small Work Boats' started by Diesel Jerry, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    What do you guys think? What is the most HP anybody has ever put on one?
    Strafford skiff
    He still has it and comes with trailer.

2. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Jerry, i put a 40 on one and it was way to much. Real squrily at wot. ended up with a 25 and that was just right. Probably ok for the LB races though, just don't hit a wake at wot. :)

BOSBoatMan likes this.
  3. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Had a flat bottom lapstrake job like that and 28spl was the ticket. More and she rode up on a chine which was fun but not safe really. Riding around at a 45* angle...

Old Mud likes this.
  4. tsharac

tsharac Member

I have a Stratford dory with a 40 HP Honda tiller; the transom came with a 1/4" thick contraption that straddles the transom. Gets up to 28 mph with me solo. We've used it for tubing a few times. It's my favorite boat; been 5+ miles offshore, but mostly use it for fluke fishing in shallow water I can't get much else into aside from a canoe. The plywood floor and transom rotted out, so I replaced both with Nida-Core (solid fiberglass resin where the outboard bolts through the transom).

IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1131.JPG

5. BOSBoatMan

BOSBoatMan Captain

Boat Make:
    1992 Nauset Bridgedeck Cummins 6BTA & 1995 GW Escape 175 Yamaha & 2013 Carolina Skiff J12 25 Yamaha
    I had one. In fact sold it to a fellow YC member and it’s probably in his backyard in Quincy MA

He would probably let it go for chump change if you want it let me know.

Had an 8 hp Nissan two smoke she’d do 17 mph with that then a 9.9 Yamaha 4S I only lost 6 mph with the weight that obviously turned me off to four strokes

Curmudgeon likes this.
  6. BOSBoatMan

BOSBoatMan Captain

Boat Make:
    1992 Nauset Bridgedeck Cummins 6BTA & 1995 GW Escape 175 Yamaha & 2013 Carolina Skiff J12 25 Yamaha
    PS

Photographers
    DJ

LMFAO guys hilarious

7. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    I had a 15 Sturdy Dory, with a 35hp 2 stroke tiller that was too fast. 25 was the ticket for mine. A fun boat that could handle some weather that I should not have been out in... as long as you went slow enough it got you home.

8. spygull

spygull Member

Had a 16 ft. Stur-dee dory for years. rigged with a side console radio and fishfinder. My kids first real boat. had a 30 hp Evenrude on it same weight as the 25 so I figured why not. With 1 person and light load would go 35 mph but became hard to control. with a heavy load the extra hp was handy when running our south shore inlets. 25 hp was probably ideal.

Attached Files:

9. Big Joe

Big Joe Member

Petroleum Dealer
    Boat Make:
    22' Sisu
    I have a Stratford Dory with a 20 Yamaha 4stroke. The motor can’t have more then 30 we’ll kept hours. Boat has some rot in The transom. I made aluminum engine plates and caps. I would let it go for what the motor is worth. Also has a trailer

10. Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob New Member

I've had a SturdeeBoat Amesbury 16 with side console since 1996. The first few years I used it with an Evinrude tiller 15, it was OK. In 2000 I went for a new Honda 25 with the remote control.

One day, here on LI Sound, Norwalk Harbor was like glass so, with another adult on board, I opened it up. Right around 34-35 mph I could feel the air between the skegs lifting the boat up so I backed down.

With 400 lbs of fishermen and 200 lbs of gear, ice and coolers the 25 will still drive it at 25mph, just takes a bit longer to get on plane.

Sturdee.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018