Opinions on a 1978 Tripp 18?

ATilghman

Ensign
Hey guys, new to this page and looking for some opinions on a Tripp 18. Anyone know if this year is cored or solid? They seem like great little boats but never seen one in person or known anyone to ride one. Thanks in advance!

xbskt

Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
Great little boat but hard to find for sale.

John Kirk

Lieutenant
Mine has some soft spots in the deck, but nothing too horrible. For my kind of fishing ( mostly fly fishing), the only drawback is the high bow really catches the wind and makes drifts challenging.

Bravo Marine

Ensign
Hey guys, new to this page and looking for some opinions on a Tripp 18. Anyone know if this year is cored or solid? They seem like great little boats but never seen one in person or known anyone to ride one. Thanks in advance!
I have a 1956 Palmer Scott 18, that was originally the mold for the Tripp Angler 18. They were originally designed by Ben T. Dobson, with the first Dobson hull-designs produced by Palmer Scott at the Marscot Plastics Division of the renowned Palmer Scott Shipyard of New Bedford, Massachusetts. The hulls have remained solid through that last 5-6 decades (only some of the decks were plywood, or glass over plywood.

20200617_114808.jpg

John Kirk

Lieutenant
The soft spots on my deck are where the glass has separated from the plywood. Nothing a little CPES and 610 can't fix. Gorgeous boat, wow...

jackv

Lieutenant
First Name
jack
Boat Make
Tripp 22 cc angler, tripp 18 cc angler, Holland 32
Just spent serious money on re-habbing a 1973 18.

Deck was OK but stringers separated from the hull. The deck was replaced by someone a while ago and I feel they covered up the issues. In addition there is a structural box forward that separates the stringers - that was cracked as well.

Now boat completely re-built with epoxy resin, new Coosa board deck and new awl grip in and out. 70 HP Yamaha is more than enough power. Boat is like new.

Top Bottom