Opinions on GPS

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Sent this off to Wharf Rat, but am interested in opinions.

I will be bringing my boat up to City Isl. from Maryland in May, hopefully the first weekend, weather permitting..
The GPS is a Northstar 952X GPS/Chartplotter. I have cards for the Chesapeake and LI-Sound. Plus reasonably recent charts, but nothing electronic for the Cape May to NYC leg.
Query. Should I get the missing chart card or would it be better to simply get a decent hand-held ( also as a backup, since there is not a second GPS on the FB)? It doesn't have to be the newest/best/top of the line.
Thanks.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

tonysmjc

Lieutenant
Brought a 5o footer up to ny from
Maryland on an iPad
With the navionics app
59.00 full charts full touch screen
Excellent

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Yup.. Have paper charts from Norfolk to Nantucket, so can do.
But its nice to have the GPS operational along with the radar and depth should the weather close in.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Garmin 740s. CHEAP,internal antenna,color,compact, simple to use, phantom loran and can be a multi functional display if desired.(radar,fishfinder)

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Tonysmjc. Cool Idea. I have about $200,000 in computers, but no iPad/iphone. Perhaps I'll borrow my daughters..

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Plowing. Will check out the garmin.
I may just go with a decent hand held GPS. Only need to fill the NJ gap. Would also be nice to have something up of the fly bridge, which is not covered.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Garmin 740s. CHEAP,internal antenna,color,compact, simple to use, phantom loran and can be a multi functional display if desired.(radar,fishfinder)

You seem to like the Garmin stuff Mike.
I'm considering going from Raymarine platform on the old (sold ! :D) Blackfin to Garmin on the 25 T Jason.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I do like the Garmin 740s it is very easy to use and gives phantom lotan numbers but I hate Garmins lack of long term support of there product lines. Garmins feeling after a few years with given model is that you should just buy another one. That being said I have Raymarine equipment on the new boat and love it with a couple of exceptions. The first being that it is made like it is a toy, all plastic. The last being that they will not give you a converted phantom loran number. Anybody fisherman will tell you how much that sucks!

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
The Northstar 952 was the state-of-the-art in its day, but it has been left far behind and is now basically a dinosaur. If I were you I wouldn't spend any money on more enhancements for the 952. Go with one of the suggestions above, and spend the saved $$ on a newer GPS unit for the boat... Garmin, Raymarine, Simrad come to mind.....

Last edited:

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look at some of the offerings for new GPS units.
One issue is I won't be back to the boat until it gets splashed in may. Look like an upgrade will have to wait.
The charts will do for now for the trip up through NJ. Only stop will be Barnegat for an overnight and some fuel.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
I'm with Tony. If you have an iPad or Android tablet, I would go with the Navionics app. The Navionics Classic Charts for the 952 have become VERY expensive and due to their limited capacity only hold updated charts as late as 2010. No need to spend any additional money on another plotter right now for just one leg.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
The Navionics app on my Galaxy S3 worked well for me for my first cruise on the Chesapeake before I installed a fixed chartplotter. Keep in mind that it won't work when wet, the touch screen needs to be dry.

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Got it.
Dont spend the money on the chart cards for the 952.
Upgrade the system and use an app.

Great advice.
Thanks all..

Top Bottom