Oregon Inlet

pugsley

Captain
Don't try to go out Oregon Inlet after a 3 day 40 mph north easter

ResizedImage951366844129552.jpg

pugsley

Captain
He found out quick why no other boats went out. A sixty foot charter boat with 3000 hp turned around, but he thought he could make it in a 35.:rolleyes:

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I bet he had to change his pants after he saw that wave coming. That should be a good wake up call. Safety first.

pugsley

Captain
I wonder if the window frame had significant dry/wet rot.

No, that is the boat i ran doggin' last winter, actually it was a decent boat, glass over wood, no rot anywhere. I think the buoy reports were 7-9 foot, the inlet bar is only 6.5', anything over 4' seas can be real nasty when it jumps up on that bar.

537333_582718558408889_938444846_n.jpg

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
Nasty inlet at times I shit my own pants coming in there buried the nose to the toe rail coming in one day going to pirates cove marina.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
3/8 Lexan is only as good as what it's screwed to, I suppose. Those are some hazy ass windows, and they were a couple years ago too, last time I looked. Was that yesterday morning? Looked shitty when I crossed the bridge heading to Wanchese to work on the boat. I went out of there after a similar blow last year and it was all I wanted at flood tide in my 56' Dwight Raymond- real sporty washing her across against that current; I felt like I was standing still for like 5 minutes. I don't think anyone went fishing that day, but I had to get up the coast to VA. One day December fall I had to go up after a storm and decided to go out Hatteras Inlet and cross Diamond Shoals instead of going up the Sound even though it's probably 15 or more miles out of the way.

pugsley

Captain
yeah, that was yesterday, we had the windows polished up but it doesn't last, you can't see real well after dark. when they asked the capt about it, he said , "it was only a 12' wave". in a different conversation a couple of weeks ago he told jamie w that "he wasn't worried about oregon inlet".

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Oregon Inlet is the real deal. I've got a lot of respect for that place. Our inlet can be shitty at times, but it's like a hop, skip, and a jump across the bar down here. The bar up there seems like it goes on forever and it has gotten shallow lately. What's the deal w/ the bridge now? I'm guessing the main span might be shallow as shit after this blow.

pugsley

Captain
the main span was shallow when we quit doggin', we were going 2 spans south. you are right about the bar, it's 6.5-10 feet for about 3/4 of a mile, that means you get wave after wave after wave.

the week after they quit dredging the main span if was 2 feet shallower

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I haven't been through there f/ about a month; I was going out the south span and hooking it south along the bridge for a few spans, watching the bottom machine for the slough.

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
had a guy up here back in 2002 who took a breaker over the house of his 26 general marine, took the house clean off....the only thing that was left was the trap fence....he took a window to the face, and his sternman bear hugged the fence.....a guy was behind him in a 40 rp and saw him go into the wave...then saw a skiff come out the other side....

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Came over the OI bridge late yesterday and it looked snotty for sure and by then the wind was down a good bit. It does look like the red ones have been moved to at least two span south of the high span. As bad as Hatteras can be at least it is only a few hundred feet to cross and only really bad on the falling tide in a strong SW, which unfortunately is the dominant wind during the season. No inlet should be taken lightly.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Of course a big swell can close out any of these inlets down here too where you can't get out during some pretty days in the fall. A lot different than some other places. Worked up in VA and MD where the swell wasn't an issue last September, but OI was mostly closed out for a couple of days. Really sucks when there is no wind and good fishing.

pugsley

Captain
it has to be real real nasty when you can't get out beaufort inlet, trouble is there aren't many fish down that way

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
True; I was thinking OI and Hatteras. I don't usually get down to Beaufort or Morehead. It's also a haul out to the Gulf Stream down there.

Top Bottom